Quantcast
Bourbon alert!!! - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bourbon alert!!!

Quote Originally Posted by turbochef422 View Post
    Is this one any good. I always like gin more but it think I can get into bourbon. I got 4 of these from my meat guy for Christmas.

Attachment 12152
    No, that stuff sucks. Send it to me for proper disposal. I'll even pay the postage.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Same batch as mine. Interesting that they let it sit around for a couple of years after they took it out of the barrels. The bottle says that it was distilled in fall of '91. With special batches like this, they tend to stop the aging it when they don't think that it is going to improve significantly with more aging and as you know, unlike wine or bottle conditioned beer, once it comes out of the barrel, it's done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew H View Post
    I was looking to buy a bottle of bourbon as a Christmas gift and I saw your post this morning. Went out and got a bottle of batch #10, thanks jm!

just so i understand i thought we are talking about

anywho i wanna buy a bottle just have to find it in PA(which doesnt allow you to just buy it and have it shipped to me) or have to do a SLO through the restaurant but if i am able i will soon own a bottle or two.

That be the stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dough View Post
    just so i understand i thought we are talking about

anywho i wanna buy a bottle just have to find it in PA(which doesnt allow you to just buy it and have it shipped to me) or have to do a SLO through the restaurant but if i am able i will soon own a bottle or two.

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

Quote Originally Posted by ******* View Post
    Same batch as mine. Interesting that they let it sit around for a couple of years after they took it out of the barrels. The bottle says that it was distilled in fall of '91. With special batches like this, they tend to stop the aging it when they don't think that it is going to improve significantly with more aging and as you know, unlike wine or bottle conditioned beer, once it comes out of the barrel, it's done.
    Yeah, I don't know what that's about. Looking at the thread on Bourbon Enthusiasts it looks like we got a good batch.

Okay, i think that I might have figured out some more backstory on this stuff. It is bottled by McClain and Kine in Louisville, which is owned by Castle Brands, who also make Goslings rum and Boru vodka. No idea how they got hold of the S-W hooch. I was under the impression that Buffalo Trace and Julian Van Winkle III were the only ones who had access to that leftover stock from the old distillery. Guess not. The original story that I heard about the first batch of the 19 year old Weller was that when they were doing inventory of the aging warehouses after that sale of the distillery in 1992, they found this stuff that had been sitting in the back for 19 years. The warehouse guys allegedly said that it was an extraordinarily good batch of the "Old Weller" "feedstock" that they made their premium 10-12 year old 107 proof stuff in the purple velvet bag and they had left it and kept checking every year or so to see how it was doing.

Well, I haven't opened mine yet (almost afraid to open it without some good reason) but my brother bought the one bottle, tried it, proclaimed it be, and i quote, "good sh*t" (that's what he texted to me) and went out and bought three more for himself, one for my dad for Christmas and one for his doctor buddy up in DC. I will be a mooch and taste it at his house next week. I am tempted to try to find at least one more because we are still kicking oursleves for not buying last the two bottles of that old 19 year old Weller that were at our local store back in the day. It turns out that they were two of the last four in all of Florida and we were unable to find any more even in Kentucky with about 4 people looking!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew H View Post
    Yeah, I don't know what that's about. Looking at the thread on Bourbon Enthusiasts it looks like we got a good batch.

The Buffalo Trace distillery tour is well worth a visit if you ever get near Lexington, KY. I just wish I would have bought that 20 YO Pappy Van Winkle when I was there.

Dave

Loved Buffalo Trace! We took the "Hard hat" tour, which is longer and more detailed.

BTW I buy the basic Weller wheated bourbon, it's a tremendous value.

Yes, it is. They have recently brought back what looks like the previous "Old Weller" 107 proof.
    Quote Originally Posted by cnochef View Post
    Loved Buffalo Trace! We took the "Hard hat" tour, which is longer and more detailed.

BTW I buy the basic Weller wheated bourbon, it's a tremendous value.