Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bourbon alert!!!

Bourbon alert!!!

If any of you are fans of wheated bourbon like Makers Mark, Weller, Van Winkle and what have you, I would suggest that you scrape up the cash ($87.50 for a fifth here in my neck of the woods) and buy you a bottle or two of Jeffersons Presidential Select 18 year old. Why, you may ask? Well, Ill tell you. This stuff is supposedly the LAST of what was left aging at the old Stitzel-Weller distillery when Sazerac/Buffalo Trace bought it a number of years ago and closed it down. A fair bit of what has been released in the premium line of stuff like 19 year old Weller and I think t eh Van Winkle stuff has ben that leftover. This is the last. They relased some last year as a 17 year old and this batch as an 18. In addition to being some monster hooch, it represents the end of an era. My brother, whi has a bit more cah than I do, bought one bottle, tried it, and went back and bought 6 more. One of his normal borbouns is Basil hayden, which is some damn good stuff and not cheap. He said tha after drinking this Jefferson, the first sip of normally smooth Hayden tasted like lighter fluid. The suttf is expensive, but nothing like the $200+ you pay for the 22-23 year old Van Winkle and the same or slightly less than you pay for the current 18 year old William Larue Weller. This stuff is better than the Weller they are selling now and possibly the equal of the old 19 year old Weller that I say is stlll the best bourbon that i have ever had.

Seconded. I don't know that I like it more than Van Winkle 15, but it's good stuff and--as ******* says--worth getting while you can.

FYI, 2010 was the last year for the Van Winkle 15 from leftover S-W stock. As of 2011, it is Buffalo Trace product like all of the younger Weller, etc. The 22 and 23 Van Winkle is still S-W as is this Jefferson. I would suspect that the William Larue Weller is going to be switching over to BT made booze assuming that they continue making these lines.

I wonder if my local can order some of this. Best I can get here regularly is Woodford.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

I think I just lucked into the stuff. These limited Weller/Van Winkle runs usually go pretty fast.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecchef View Post
    I wonder if my local can order some of this. Best I can get here regularly is Woodford.

Funny, just bought a bottle of this today almost at random for a present--maybe I should keep it for myself

Spokane, WA aka Spokanistan, or Spoklahoma, or...
    Quote Originally Posted by pitonboy View Post
    Funny, just bought a bottle of this today almost at random for a present--maybe I should keep it for myself
    Yes

Is this one any good. I always like gin more but it think I can get into bourbon. I got 4 of these from my meat guy for Christmas.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  14.3 KB

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

I was looking to buy a bottle of bourbon as a Christmas gift and I saw your post this morning. Went out and got a bottle of batch #10, thanks jm!

I usually have Blanton's on the desk but I'll have to watch out for this. Thanks for the heads up.

Dave