That's Heavy.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eshua

Reaction score
I was talking with the owner of our restaurants today, and his response to showing off the Mizuno pass around was .. "I don't think it can be that expensive a knife ... In my experience all really good knives are heavier."

At first I laughed, then I wondered about what would make this a stereotype in japan, but now I'm realize I rarely hear you guys talk about weight dissociated from thickness.

So I ask you this -- What can dramatically affect density in knives? Material, forging process? Is there something to my bosses stereotype that "master knife makers do not use light steal?" Does is make some sense relative to single bevel honyaki being heavier due to lack of mild steel? Or did he come up with this one all on his own.

Apparently, all steels have pretty much the same density. Percieved weight can be due to thickness of the blade, the grind (or lack thereof) or the balance. Sounds like he just likes thicker knives with full bolsters.

Since I have had many knives go through my hands, I get the "wow that seems light." But many of these people are used to German thick knives. Also the wood on most Japanese knives is usually lighter than the knives at work. Most of my coworkers use our white plastic piece of .... as a reference.

Isn't part of the mythos of Doi knives that his cold-forging technique is supposed to result in heavier-feeling knives? I have no idea if this is real or entirely perceived, but it seems to pop up in most discussions of his work.

The dois i own are part of why i bit on this whole thing. The rest i assumed was just underestimating size.

Back