Hello from Michigan

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sanLuigi

Reaction score
Hello,
I have been lurking for some time and joined this great forum. I have spent some years in pro ktchens and nowcook at home. I have some knives for thirty years, and they are good for sentimental reasons.

I am impressed so far with members knowledge and enthusiasm and willingness to share in a kind and respectful manner. Wishing everyone a safe and Happy Holidays.
Mike

Thanks for the warm welcome, just a person interested in knives, and not sure what a yooper or troll are.
I am looking for a used Edgepro Professional for sharpening.

A Yooper is someone from the upper peninsula. A troll is someone from the lower peninsula which is a term yoopers use because they are on the upper end of the Mackinac bridge.

Welcome and good luck with your search. Most people here would recomend learning to sharpen freehand though.

Welcome Michigander! BTW I'm from right under the bridge...LOL

Dave

i am a Troll then, thanks for the definitions.
I was looking into freehand and starting with a Bestor 1200. I sure have enough old knives with which to practice. I have been looking at the edgepro for some time.
By way of my intro, intention is not to open the freehand versus jig.
I have seen some of Rick's impressive collection, and HHH beautiful knives, thanks for warm welcome.
Mike

Mike, I used a edge pro for years. I'ts a great tool that works.

I have heard that traditional *** kitchen knives because of the way they are ground, makes the EP not a optimal tool for sharpening them.. Yet in my experience. Its done fine on everything I have used it on. From small folders to 12" long blades on my 300mm slicers.

I have now switched to water stones. and am having fun learning to use them. You cant o wrong with getting a edge pro i my opinion. And when or if you ever go down the twisted and winding road of J nats and water stones. The EP will still have a good value and will sell quickly.

MI represent. Welcome to the forum.

Bester 1200 is perfect start, as its been the main stone in my arsenal since I started years ago. If you have the interest to learn freehand -- you will -- as long as you put in the time and practice.

My personal suggestion would be to give it a shot first, and if you don't think you are getting much better in a few weeks/months/etc, then go ahead and get the EP.

HHH,
Thanks for response, you make some beautiful knives.
I have been sharpening with a diamond plate my uncle gave me twenty years ago. It doesn't work as good as I would like, but it works enough to slice, chop, etc. I have a number of knives from my early cullinary journey and a half dozen comercially produced folders that need an edge.

I have been looking around the forum for quite a while, and I realize the breadth of information and knowledge and skiil sets that members have. The forum has opened my eyes to many things that I can't even pronounce. Like anything, it depends on what interests the person and how much the person wants to delve.

Good ideas on resale, looks like I have little to lose. Also, i have a number of Bonsai scissors that could use a touch up. Don't know if the apex platform will work for these or not, i know the gentelman from Burke Cutlery psted on this topic (not sure if I got his name right).
Regards,
Mike

Welcome to a fellow Michigander! Please feel free to ask any questions you have!

Mike,
Thanks for offering to answer any questions, and you make beautiful knives as well.
I saw in for sale archives someone who offered a begginers sharpening setup for very little money.
what is the best way to ask questions, via email or in specific forums? I want to make sure to follow protocol.
Mike

Cadillac J,
Thanks, good idea to get a stone and practice.

Dave,
Beautiful gallery of your work, and if my memory serves me right, you have have sharpening videos?

Thanks again for the warm welcome and for saying hello, I appreciate all.
Mike

Latest posts

Back