Quantcast
If my knife veers to the left or right what should i do?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: If my knife veers to the left or right what should i do?

If my knife veers to the left or right what should i do?

I've been sharpening for a while now and I know I'm still missing important information. I would like to take the time out of my life to spend another round with Dave himself, but I've not the time or the money. Maybe when October rolls around again.

For now though, I assume there is a good tutorial that explains what happens when my knife wants to head, let's say for now, to the right. i'm right handed. it has gone to the left many times.. but for now it is heading to the right when i cut straight down. maybe i'm not cutting straight or something.. so there is still room that my perception is off. the movement to the right isn't that much. but it's annoying and i feel like i'm doing a better job than i've done in the past. but it's something that i don't understand and i find it annoying. i can easily compensate with adjusting my arm/wrist.

thanks to the forum i just learned about the wixey angle finder.. and eventualy i'd like to get my hands on a usb microscope for the funs of it all.

please, understand that i know in general every part of my technique needs improved.

but without knowing the exact angle, but understanding 90 half, 45, half, 22, and right below that is about 15. so my guess is i'm hitting 15degrees or below on either side of the knife, i build the burr, as evenly as i can.

how do i arrive at the center of the blade to make it not veer left or right? is it a dance that i just end up getting a feeling for or is it hit or miss for the rest of my life?

What kind of knife are you using?

Ah.. you can't read my mind?

Hiramoto AS Gyuto 300mm that everyone here loves. I bought it from a recommendation when I asked in the knifeforum.com a couple of years ago.

I don't think it's the sharpening unless someone flattened the back of the knife. I use a 70/30 and don't have steering issues.

When using a long knife and you are cutting towards the tip it's more likely to steer. Because of the length the nuances are amplified and you have less control. Also check your grip.
    Do you find steering issues when you are cutting closer to the heel?

ah, maybe someone did flatten the back of the knife a little (not much!!) ... but also the front of the knife too. i was trying to do what i saw jmbroida doing on his website. maybe i don't understand.

I think I need to understand 70/30 better... can you explain? I've even read An Edge in the Kithen.. I give myself an F.

I do use a pinch grip. thanks for saying what you did about cutting towards the tip.

and... yes, i think the steering issue is closer to the heel.

btw, I've read your website i like it.

Sponsors
    huh? There is a chance you may have confunsed my single bevel and double bevel videos if you are flattening the back of your suji

Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    huh? There is a chance you may have confunsed my single bevel and double bevel videos if you are flattening the back of your suji
    Not Suji, Gyuto

JBroida, and yes, i probably misunderstood your videos in the first place! I hope you don't think I'm saying anything wrong with your videos! I love your videos and I'm sure it's my own misunderstanding. I do have that clear

Sponsors
    whops...thats what i get for responding from my phone this morning. Do the double bevel geared videos we made make sense though?

i think your videos are a good resource and as far as i assume your video is right on. i'm confused a bit about what Salty just said about the flattening of the back side a bit.

+ Reply to Thread