Quantcast
Gesshin Ittetsu 27cm - Page 5
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Gesshin Ittetsu 27cm

No worries. It took all of five minutes to sort out, so no big deal. The tip is good as new. After using it for a couple more days, I have to say it's a really fun knife. I let a couple of the other chefs in my kitchen cut a couple things on my station. They all oohed and ahhed. I've stropped it once since the initial touch up sharpening. Unfortunately, this week wasn't as prep heavy as I'd like so I didn't get a chance to give it a REALLY hard test, but based upon my experience, I'm pretty sure it would have plowed through it with no trouble. My only criticism, and this is really, really nit picky: Since it's san mai construction, an equally soft stainless for the sides would give a tremendous increase in ease of maintenance over the soft iron/carbon steel sides. That's my only real issue. As I continued to work with it, I noted the iron (?) sides don't really seem to patina to the point where they become non reactive. It's not a deal breaker by any stretch, but a different steel for the sides with less or no reactivity would be something of an improvement. The cutting performance is top notch. You could easily blow through a lot of prep with this knife. It has a beautifully organic, hand made quality to it that begs for it to be put to work. It's lightweight and very comfortable in hand. Just a real pleasure to use. As much as I've enjoyed using it, I can't honestly say that I'd be able to justify the cost of buying one new, but if one came up on BST at a fair price, I'd certainly consider picking it up.

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Sorry so late with some pics. I know if I sent out a knife I would like to see what it is looking like.
    First 2 are from before I did some clean up.
    Name:  phone 283.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  8.9 KBName:  phone 284.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  11.1 KB

some pics with my 270 Tanaka, after some clean up, and some board butter on the handle.

Name:  phone 290.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  10.8 KBcouple of the tip. Name:  phone 292.jpg
Size:  10.6 KB
    Name:  phone 291.jpg
Size:  12.3 KBName:  phone 293.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  12.2 KBName:  phone 294.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  12.1 KBName:  phone 295.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  9.0 KB

I really wanted to leave the blue, and show the hammon. But I really didn't have time for that. It was a pleasure to be able to try this Ittetsu.
    A comparison with the Heiji from John, is really not something to compare to. One is Heiji is very thick verses this one, I would say at least half the thickness at least.

Both held a edge, and got nicely sharp.
    Chewie's the man.

Just shipped out to Joe. Thanks for letting me have a bit of fun with it. I'm sorry to see it leave, as I would have liked to work with it for a few more days, but it would probably be another whole week before I'd have a chance to ship it if it didn't happen today. I'm sure Joe will enjoy it as much as I did.

Sweet. I've got three PA coming now. Time to make some soup, lol. At least the first big wedding of the season is next week, so I'll have lots to do with them. Thanks for letting me know.
    "This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!" -Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

No problem. Sounds like you should have plenty of product for testing. Enjoy!

Picked it up from the post office on my way to work today. Firs impression is not what I was expecting. Not bad, just was thinking something else. Seems to have a good edge on it from Miles too. Going to try it out later, after a few days I'll do a write up
    "This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!" -Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

Did we figure out what's going on with it going to eagle rock yet?

Im going to get on that one right now and will let you know.

On its way to Poland. Review on the way later once I get home

so it is going to Poland then to Finland after ?

+ Reply to Thread