Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: dry pasta

Quote Originally Posted by Duckfat View Post
    I'm not sure of the brand but Whole Foods carries a dry pasta that comes in a heavy brown paper package. Very good stuff but pretty darn pricy.

Dave
    I thlnk you're talking about Rustichella D'Abruzzo, which is amazing stuff. My local Italian grocer sometimes puts it on 2for1

Lets see, in the drawer right now ere are 2 boxes of Ronzoni, one of De Cecco, and a brown paper deal of Montebello organic.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

I don't know jack, but I can kinda tell the difference between Barilla and the other cheaper brands. No real need for me to look any more.

I have said for years that I want to dry my own pasta a la Marcella Hazan. Due to laziness this has not happened yet. Barilla works well enough for me. Anyone had any lack with drying pasta and having it keep?

I use Barilla and De Cecco for the regular recipes, and when I want to kick it up a notch I use Rustichella and appropriately for this site Martelli. That last one is pretty expensive, but I use it when I go all out with a new recipe or one that calls for premium ingredients.

k.

Edit: I also get that Garofalo. In general I get spaghettis in DeCecco and Garofalo; other shapes (elbows, penne, farfalle) in Barilla; buccatini and linguine in Rustichella; and penne in Martelli. It's nice and chewy.

2nd Edit: I make my own pappardelle and tagliatelle.
    "What happened to those other underpants you had?" -- Flight of the Conchords

I make my own its easy but if I buy it its barilla.

Barilla or a few of the Trader Joe's ones. I used to find a good spinach pasta for Alfredo, but haven't done that in a while. I need to do that again. It was good.

Latini pasta if you can find it.

+1 for rustichella d'abruzzo.

Great stuff, although some of the shapes are a bit naf. Trenne? Yep triangle penne.

Dusty its amazing how many shapes they have making all the pasta where I work now I have learned probably 50 shapes of pasta all traditional and have tiny differences