dry pasta

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tk59

Founding Member
Reaction score
I went to the supermarket just now to get some cough suppressant and figured I'd grab some dried pasta. I always get Barilla because out of the brands I've tried (not too terribly many) that's what I've liked the best. Anyway, I picked up some mini penne, amongst others and went to check out. The lady looked at my pile of boxes and happily started chanting "mini panini, mini panini, mini panini..." I didn't know what to say, so I just smiled back. She must have seen something in my expression because she apologized saying, "Sorry. I just love the way that sounds! Mini panini! Mini panini! Mini panini!"

Anyway, what's your favorite, easily obtainable dry pasta brand?

I'm with you, Barilla for dry pasta. When I went to Rome awhile back a lot of restaurants were using it and it occupies the shelves at the grocery stores there and most of my Italian friends from Italy, will only buy that brand. Obviously it isn't the same as fresh pasta but, they are two different animals, one silky and smooth and the other toothsome and hardy.

there are a few obscure ones i like when i can find them, but barilla and di cecco are safe bets

I think that Delverde pasta is the best. I find it absorbs sauce well and stays al dente.

there are a few obscure ones i like when i can find them, but barilla and di cecco are safe bets

+1 to De Cecco. I lke Barilla, but personally prefer De Cecco. But De Cecco can be up to 3x more expensive than Barilla. Barilla, on sale, is so inexpensive.

Barilla at home and de cecco at work.

I'm not sure of the brand but Whole Foods carries a dry pasta that comes in a heavy brown paper package. Very good stuff but pretty darn pricy.

Dave

I'm not sure of the brand but Whole Foods carries a dry pasta that comes in a heavy brown paper package. Very good stuff but pretty darn pricy.

Dave

I thlnk you're talking about Rustichella D'Abruzzo, which is amazing stuff. My local Italian grocer sometimes puts it on 2for1:)

Lets see, in the drawer right now ere are 2 boxes of Ronzoni, one of De Cecco, and a brown paper deal of Montebello organic.

I don't know jack, but I can kinda tell the difference between Barilla and the other cheaper brands. No real need for me to look any more.

I have said for years that I want to dry my own pasta a la Marcella Hazan. Due to laziness this has not happened yet. Barilla works well enough for me. Anyone had any lack with drying pasta and having it keep?

I use Barilla and De Cecco for the regular recipes, and when I want to kick it up a notch I use Rustichella and appropriately for this site Martelli. That last one is pretty expensive, but I use it when I go all out with a new recipe or one that calls for premium ingredients.

k.

Edit: I also get that Garofalo. In general I get spaghettis in DeCecco and Garofalo; other shapes (elbows, penne, farfalle) in Barilla; buccatini and linguine in Rustichella; and penne in Martelli. It's nice and chewy.

2nd Edit: I make my own pappardelle and tagliatelle.

I make my own its easy but if I buy it its barilla.

Barilla or a few of the Trader Joe's ones. I used to find a good spinach pasta for Alfredo, but haven't done that in a while. I need to do that again. It was good.

Latini pasta if you can find it.

+1 for rustichella d'abruzzo.

Great stuff, although some of the shapes are a bit naf. Trenne? Yep triangle penne.

Dusty its amazing how many shapes they have making all the pasta where I work now I have learned probably 50 shapes of pasta all traditional and have tiny differences

I like Garofalo too, I use their malfalda to make homemade versions of hamburger helper. Not exactly gourmet, I know, but very satisfying.

Barilla here also but my new years resolution is to make my own much more.

Barilla here also but my new years resolution is to make my own much more.

Yeah, got the 3 pasta attachments for my kitchen aid earlier this fall, havent used them once yet due to lazyness and space restriction in my tiny tiny kitchen.

Yeah, got the 3 pasta attachments for my kitchen aid earlier this fall, havent used them once yet due to lazyness and space restriction in my tiny tiny kitchen.

I hope you got the pasta rollers for your Kitchen Aid not the extruder kit as it sucks!

I like Agnesi.

De Cecco is also good, from Barilla I like fullkorn pastaas.

Kitchen Aid rollers rock, they do a super job. I wish I would use mine more often.

Dry Pasta? Barilla or Ronzoni here, whichever is the cheaper when I am buying it. They are very comparable. Di Cecco also but it's not often run on sale like the others are. There are some pretty nice boutique type products that I will splurge for now and then. "Al Dente" brand Roasted Garlic Linguine is really nice for a treat with some home made pesto.

The best I've tried so far is "Flora" imported by some company here in FL. It's got a very home made texture and flavor that I really enjoy.

Latest posts

Back