Quantcast
Depression
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Depression

Depression

Hi everyone,

since many of you almost feel like family, I would like to get this out there. I heard last night that a good old friend of mine in Germany commited suicide after experiencing depression. While we all have busy lives, I would just like to encourage you to keep your ears and eyes open for friends who may be struggling with depression. Almost 10% in the population are affected by some form of it, almost 4% are affected by Major Depression. Chances are good that you know someone who is affected. This is not a temporary mood problem or a weakness. Major Depression is a severe condition that can and in most cases does affect peoples' lives - their job performance, family life, relationsips, social life etc. 10% of Major Depression patients commit suicide, even more may attempt it. Sometimes it is easier to see some of the signs from the outside than when you are affected yourself. Please have a look at what the main symptoms are and at what you can do. A few ideas are in the second link. The main thing is to provide support without nagging, and not to drop your support when you don't get the reaction you hope for. For example, keep inviting people, even if they haven't shown up the last 5 times - not being able to incolve oneself in social events is part of the disease, but seeing that people don't give up on you can make a huge difference for people who struggle.

It is really unfortunate that there still seems to be some stigma attached to mental health issues, including depression. There is a lot of work to do in educating each other.

http://www.helpguide.org/mental/depr..._treatment.htm

http://www.volunteerguide.org/minute...-of-depression

Thanks,

Stefan

Thanks for posting this, Stefan--and I'm very sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. It's an epidemic in modern society, and one that doesn't get nearly enough attention.

I've had several friends commit suicide over the last 20 years, including one last year. Every time I find it surprising and baffling on multiple levels. Sorry for your loss Stefan.
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

Classy and informative, as always, Stefan. Thanks for sharing, and I'm sorry to read about your friend. Hang in there....
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Sorry to hear about your loss. Depression is an illness just like any other. We all get sick and we all need help. It seems to be more prevalent where I live with SAD (seasonal affective disorder).

Dave

Sorry to hear about your friend, Stefan.

Rick

Thanks for sharing Stefan and I am sorry for your loss.
    I know firsthand the affects of depression as I have two family members who suffer from it and I was engaged to someone who had borderline personality disorder. You are right that it can be extremely frustrating to deal with these people and you really need to step back and be supportive no matter what. These people also may have severe self esteem issues and no matter how much you support / love them they often don't feel worthy of attention and may draw even more into their shell. Keep up the support nonetheless.

Take care,

Eric

Great post. A necessary encouragement to keep our eyes and ears open. Sorry to hear about friend, Stefan.

My condolences on your loss Stefan. Thanks for posting.

I'm very sorry about your loss. I lost a friend to depression a couple of years ago. My wife has depression as well. Thank you for posting this and sharing the information.