Quantcast
Depression - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Depression

I'm sorry for your loss. Suicide is not only a sad end to one's life, but it cast a shadow on his/her friends for a long long time, if not forever. Are you doing okay? Let us know if there's anything we can do for you. I know I'm not much of a help, but please know that we all care about you.

Depression is among the worst of all thieves.

Major Depression can take your life, loved ones and happiness. It can sneak up on you even when everything is going well. Others can see anxiety and mania, but depression is easily hidden behind a facade of humor, sarcasm, irritability or appearing unperturbed. Most depressed people are outwardly well-functioning, even high achievers. But it can be pernicious, leading to the darkest of thoughts and making every day life miserable. Depression may the triggered by life events or passed on genetically. It's surprising how many people become accustomed to their depression, thinking that's just how life is.

A number of years ago when I went to my family physician, a dear friend, for antidepressant medication he was surprised. My wife had no idea, but I was scared by how dark my thoughts had become. By every objective measure my life was excellent; not just good or okay. But on one side of the family there's four generations of depression, casting a wide net to distant relatives.

As Stephan said, there are good medications and good psychotherapies for depression. The best therapies nowadays target the areas of the brain that "hold" the depression. For a some people just meds are needed to adjust the brain chemistry but for others psychotherapy is necessary.

One irony is that most self medication (drugs and alcohol) only make the depression worse.

Glad this thread was started, but I'm sorry for Stephan's loss.
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough." —Mark Twain

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    Sorry for your loss Stephan. Depression is awful and no one is immune to it. I wish it was taken more seriously by the general public.
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

Depression sucks. I wish I could afford the good meds but the real solution is I need to move. Suicide is a little trickier. An old friend of mine texted me tonight that his son's classmate committed suicide last night. Kid was 13. Youngest I have ever heard of. That's sad. But at say age 30, I'm not sure it should always be demonized....

-AJ

Thanks again, everyone, for your thoughts about my friend and myself. I think that I am appropriately sad about this situation, but I don't think it could derail me now like it would have 2 years ago. That's a bit of a relief and shows me how far I have come back from the dark side.

I almost wrote that I am glad to see that some of us have gone through a similar experience, but, of course, that is not what I mean. I also didn't write this to stimulate any 'outings'. But with several hundred people being active here, there have to be a number who have had that experience in their lives. Depression is now the number one reason for early retirement in the US. But when you talk to health experts (and being in the field, I know quite a few of them...) what the biggest health concern is, the majority will tell you the obesity and diabetes epidemic. Not that this isn't a problem also, but almost twice as many people are struggling with forms of depression than with diabetes, and it's about time that this gets talked about more and without a stigma attached to it. An imbalance in neurotransmitters is almost always found in people with depression, and meds can help restoring the balance and the metabolizing process. Nobody would think to stigmatize an imbalance in the cholesterol metabolism in the same way. I don't know all the reasons why this is being dealt with so delicately, there may be historical reasons, we may feel uncomfortable or helpless when we see ourselves or another person change during depression. But I hope that a more open talk will increase awareness and encourage others to seek help. As Salty, Craig and others said, there are different ways to treat it. 'Self medication' can work but in more cases it has the risk of driving you deeper into it and isolating you more. It's also the typical male way, women are more likely to look for outside help. As a psychologist, I had always been skeptical about medication, always thought we should try the 'natural' way of therapy first. Finding pills that work for me was a revelation. There is nothing magical, there is no high, they just restore the neurotransmitter balance to the point where you feel like yourself again, and you then can start working on everything else - like restoring relationships as Salty said (congratulations and good luck with that, Salty!).

O.k., enough rambling. Thanks again everyone for being supportive.

Stefan