Quantcast
CCK, Old Hickory & in-laws
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CCK, Old Hickory & in-laws

CCK, Old Hickory & in-laws

My Chinese in-laws recently visited, and I was very surprised that my mother-in-law was familiar with CCK. She had told me that when she was living in Hong Kong ~40 years ago, CCK was a very famous knife company. Somehow, I had thought that they were just some niche maker that the knife nuts came across, yet my mother-in-law who couldn't tell me the name of any other knife company anywhere, recognized my CCK.

My in-laws have long known for a while to avoid any knife in my kitchen with a wa handle and they avoided my new CCK. But since their last visit, I also bought a new Old Hickory 7" butcher's knife. I bought it to replace a 30+ year-old version of the same knife that my wife had taken with her to college. The old knife is badly rusted and the edge profile has a 1/4" divot 1" from the heel where someone had repeatedly banged it into a sharpening steel. The new version of the knife cost me ~$10 and about 10 hours work so far. Being carbon steel I got the edge to shaving sharp. My mother-in-law recognized the new one as the old one that used to be in her kitchen and she used it to make stuffed eggplant. My mother-in-law's method for measuring the depth of the split has always been to use her finger to feel the edge of the knife when it made it to the right depth. As you could probably imagine, she didn't realize that she had a deep cut in her finger until she reached for the second piece and saw that she was bleeding all over it. I only found out about it after she had already bandaged herself up and was asking me to identify the dull knives in the block.

BTW, back to CCK, I've only been able to find a select variety of their knives and I came across this site in China that ships worldwide:
    http://www.chefsmall.net/Chinese-Knives
    They carry every cleaver and butcher's knife on the CCK "Chinese Knife" webpage, and a couple of other knives that are not.

I think I love you now. There have been a couple of their knives that I haven't been able to find anywhere. Thank you for posting this.

Nice, thanks!
    one man gathers what another man spills...

Quote Originally Posted by CompE View Post
    My mother-in-law's method for measuring the depth of the split has always been to use her finger to feel the edge of the knife when it made it to the right depth.
    wow, that's sounds like a bad idea.

Thanks for the site Comp.Great to see that cleaver collection.Chinatown here has a large selection of CCK's,I've bought a number of CCK Carbons Veg. & Bone Cleavers.

I have Chinese in my family as well,Antie & 5 Hapa cousins & their kids & grandkids

Anyone know the difference in the different choppers (bone, bbq, chopper, kau kong) and just plain cleaver. I have an 1101 slicer and really like it.
    one man gathers what another man spills...

Your 1101 is a nice cleaver,it is not suited for bones,but good for cutting just about everything else.Not a super lite 1303 at only 270 grams.

My Bone cleaver is the KF 1621 Carbon,Heavy,gets razor sharp wt. convex edge,used it mostly cutting platters of Ginger Chix for banquets.Now that I'm retired don't use it at all.Probably time to pass it on.

Quote Originally Posted by keithsaltydog View Post
    Thanks for the site Comp.Great to see that cleaver collection.Chinatown here has a large selection of CCK's,I've bought a number of CCK Carbons Veg. & Bone Cleavers.
    Nobody ever tells me anything around here I had no idea, maybe we should meet in Chinatown one of these days and you can show me where, Keith...

Stefan

I've seen that site, and almost ordered from them, I just get a weird feeling about them (the company) not sure why. I have seen other sites, under different names selling home goods and whatnot, not knives, with the same physical address and phone number. Has anyone had experience with them?
    "This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!" -Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

Quote Originally Posted by apicius9 View Post
    Nobody ever tells me anything around here I had no idea, maybe we should meet in Chinatown one of these days and you can show me where, Keith...

Stefan
    Sure Steph, It is on Maunakea St.Used to be called Maunakea Trading Co. Diff. name now.same store.It is like a Reasturant Supply store Chinese style.Woks,Bamboo Stainers,lots of stuff & a big glass counter case wt. all kinds of cool cleavers.