My first Saya, no laughing!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PierreRodrigue

Reaction score
Ok, call this an attempt into uncharted waters. This is the new home for the bright finish San Mai knife I did a little video on.

I used some nice redwood from Mark at Burl Source, thanks Mark!! I figured, if I tried my first on some cheap stuff, and messed it up, I may not try again.
The "logical" approach, was to practice on the best I had. This forced me to think it through, and take my time. Neither of which I had time to do! lol! I carved the recess, trimmed, glued and clamped, then profiled. I needed to thin the body, and instead of rounding and blending everything, faceted the faces.
The pin stumped me, Eamon found those cool cribbage pegs, but I can't seem to get to a store while its open, so last night, I got a piece of mammoth ivory, ground it semi-round on my 2 X 72, then chucked it in my drill press, and spun it round (sand paper, and files) and added a little mosaic in the center to match the pins in the knife handle.

Here are the fruits of my labors. 10 coats of oil, and 4 coats of wax, and here it is. The good pics will come when the knife is done.

Please let me know your thoughts!

saya1.jpg

I am literally doing my first right now. Nowhere near as nice as yours. If this is your first I can't wait to see more.

I love the idea of a mammoth pin for it. Beautiful saya, great work.

Pretty dang nice. Funny, I ended up doing the same thing to make some pins with misc materials. Leave it up to you to do it with the exotic.

What a shock...another awesome piece by Pierre! Looks great, man!

Very nice, love the faceting and the creative pin idea!

Stefan

Beautiful saya & mosaic+ivory pin is very nice touch!!

Thanks you guys! I appreciate the feed back, maybe I will attempt more of these... :)

If you wanna practice some more on my order, ill take one of those on my future gyuto! nice work! :-D

I like the faceting.
Good looking saya Pierre.
Inspires me to try my hand at sayas again.

Very nice Pierre! I can see the chatoyance in it, hard to convey in a picture.

It is so bad and substandard that you should let me have it so u dont embarrass yourself with that work. LOL Super great job, love it, love the wood, great work.

Pierre, the only thing I'm laughing about is your very high standards. That saya has nothing about it to laugh about.... sheeesh :laugh:

Very beautiful saya.

Pierre, it's nice but you can do much better. :justkidding: It's very nice!!!
I thought it was thuya burl at first.
I also like the "logical" approach, I made my first handle out of snakewood and my first wa out of ancient kauri and blackwood. I have never made a saya, but I know since a long time that it will be made out of redwood.
I wait for the finished picture with the knife. Thanks

Latest posts

Back