Quantcast
Hello from sunny Western Australia - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hello from sunny Western Australia

Thanks Dave. I get two hellos from you? While I've got your attention (I hope!), I've just ordered a single bevel usuba. Aside from the fact that it's just so satisfying, being a lefty, to have something all those damn right handers might have problems with, the idea of using something as sharp if not sharper than your average wood working chisel is a little bit exciting. My question is, do I need a high grit stone to do the back side of it? I've got a 5000 grit Suehiro arrivng very shortly too and was assuming that would be fine enough. I doubt the back is hollow ground. It's carbon steel. I've also got a 1200 King stone.

Quote Originally Posted by Blobby View Post
    Thanks Dave. I get two hellos from you? While I've got your attention (I hope!), I've just ordered a single bevel usuba. Aside from the fact that it's just so satisfying, being a lefty, to have something all those damn right handers might have problems with, the idea of using something as sharp if not sharper than your average wood working chisel is a little bit exciting. My question is, do I need a high grit stone to do the back side of it? I've got a 5000 grit Suehiro arrivng very shortly too and was assuming that would be fine enough. I doubt the back is hollow ground. It's carbon steel. I've also got a 1200 King stone.

Two hellos? Well I guess I got mixed up but I'm sure you deserve two anyway. LOL

On your usuba, if it's made correctly it will be hollow ground on the back - touching the stone only along the edge and spine (1-2mm width). Sometimes, well more often than not, the back edge won't be quite right and will need a little 1kish stone work to make it flat. From that point on the use of fine polishing stones is what's only normally needed there. If you do use your King 1200x be very gentle, go lightly, and inspect often or you may easily screw that back side hollow up in the process of fixing it.

IMO, I'd go higher than the Suehiro 5k on a usuba, I'd go at least 8k

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    Two hellos? Well I guess I got mixed up but I'm sure you deserve two anyway. LOL

On your usuba, if it's made correctly it will be hollow ground on the back - touching the stone only along the edge and spine (1-2mm width). Sometimes, well more often than not, the back edge won't be quite right and will need a little 1kish stone work to make it flat. From that point on the use of fine polishing stones is what's only normally needed there.
    Thanks Dave. It's this one: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Japanese-...item588fada26b I'm at entry level until I find my feet with this knife malarky! I'm hoping it's hollow ground (nothing in the description) as that in my view defines Japanese tools. I'd be happy either way. I've been using western carpentry tools for years and keeping a chisel ground blade sharp is almost second nature.

If you do use your King 1200x be very gentle, go lightly, and inspect often or you may easily screw that back side hollow up in the process of fixing it.
    I've only just started properly using whet stones on knives so I'm going very carefully anyhow!

IMO, I'd go higher than the Suehiro 5k on a usuba, I'd go at least 8k
    Wicked! Any excuse to get another stone!