Hello from sunny Western Australia

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blobby

Reaction score
Well it's not quite as sunny as it should be but not bad. Been lurking, doing the occasional post and thought it time to introduce myself. Always thought that being a knife nazi (as my family calls me due to my severe dislike of blunt kitchen knives) was a solitary, guilty almost nasty little hobby until I discovered this forum. In a previous career I was a traditional shipwright, building and repairing wooden boats so I'm used to sharpening an enormous variety of tools, all of them carbon steel. Love my carbon knives which consist of a little Robert Herder paring knife, an Opinel which also does paring knife duties, a Dexter Russell filleting knife I found wedged in the beam of an old abatoir scheduled for demolition and an old fashioned Sheffield carving knife. I've now just bought a carbon steel Tojiro gyuto. Never knew you could get carbon chefs knives and thought they had died with the appearance of stainless knves and dishwashers. Haven't used it yet as it's been hijacked and shoved under the Christmas tree. Although I've used stones and, I have to admit, a draw through Furi for sharpening the variety of stainless kitchen knives I've had (and actually secretly disliked) over the years, I've taken this one step further and have bought a 1200 grit King and have made a sink bridge for it to sit on. Love the smell of metal on my hands after using it. Brings back memories. I will also be getting a 5000 grit Suehiro Rika. Such nice big wide stones!

Actually enjoying sharpening the stainless knives and appreciate them a bit more now. I will also be getting a carbon Usuba vegetable knife. I'm used to chisel ground sharp implements and being a lefty, couldn't resist finally having a left handed implement in the house. Anyhow that's my story.

By the way do I need a finer grit stone (8000 or so?) for doing the back of the Usuba?

Welcome! I have a feeling you're going to fit in quite well here...

Hi Blobby, Welcome to the forum!
I lived in WA for a number of years aswell ( Kimberly ).

Hello to you too! All the way from Cairns. There appear to be a fair number of Australians on this site.

By the way did we all get the French wedding dress posting or is this specially for me?

Thanks Dave. I get two hellos from you? While I've got your attention (I hope!), I've just ordered a single bevel usuba. Aside from the fact that it's just so satisfying, being a lefty, to have something all those damn right handers might have problems with, the idea of using something as sharp if not sharper than your average wood working chisel is a little bit exciting. My question is, do I need a high grit stone to do the back side of it? I've got a 5000 grit Suehiro arrivng very shortly too and was assuming that would be fine enough. I doubt the back is hollow ground. It's carbon steel. I've also got a 1200 King stone.

Thanks Dave. I get two hellos from you? While I've got your attention (I hope!), I've just ordered a single bevel usuba. Aside from the fact that it's just so satisfying, being a lefty, to have something all those damn right handers might have problems with, the idea of using something as sharp if not sharper than your average wood working chisel is a little bit exciting. My question is, do I need a high grit stone to do the back side of it? I've got a 5000 grit Suehiro arrivng very shortly too and was assuming that would be fine enough. I doubt the back is hollow ground. It's carbon steel. I've also got a 1200 King stone.

Two hellos? Well I guess I got mixed up but I'm sure you deserve two anyway. LOL :D

On your usuba, if it's made correctly it will be hollow ground on the back - touching the stone only along the edge and spine (1-2mm width). Sometimes, well more often than not, the back edge won't be quite right and will need a little 1kish stone work to make it flat. From that point on the use of fine polishing stones is what's only normally needed there. If you do use your King 1200x be very gentle, go lightly, and inspect often or you may easily screw that back side hollow up in the process of fixing it. :)

IMO, I'd go higher than the Suehiro 5k on a usuba, I'd go at least 8k

Two hellos? Well I guess I got mixed up but I'm sure you deserve two anyway. LOL :D

On your usuba, if it's made correctly it will be hollow ground on the back - touching the stone only along the edge and spine (1-2mm width). Sometimes, well more often than not, the back edge won't be quite right and will need a little 1kish stone work to make it flat. From that point on the use of fine polishing stones is what's only normally needed there.

Thanks Dave. It's this one: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Japanese...243?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item588fada26b I'm at entry level until I find my feet with this knife malarky! I'm hoping it's hollow ground (nothing in the description) as that in my view defines Japanese tools. I'd be happy either way. I've been using western carpentry tools for years and keeping a chisel ground blade sharp is almost second nature.

If you do use your King 1200x be very gentle, go lightly, and inspect often or you may easily screw that back side hollow up in the process of fixing it. :)

I've only just started properly using whet stones on knives so I'm going very carefully anyhow!

IMO, I'd go higher than the Suehiro 5k on a usuba, I'd go at least 8k

Wicked! Any excuse to get another stone!

Back