Can You Identify These Knives?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rshu

Reaction score
I saw them for sale and wanted to know if they were any good. Thanks!

Roger

pic_zpsbeda0083.jpg

pic2_zpsa7949642.jpg

ha! ha! LOL!:wink: the Kanji mean "California sushi school"!! hope it help!:)

haha! that's what I figured, thanks for the heads up!

You can get better, but for a student I think those would be great. (sushi) Altho that set doesn't look very well cared for.

That second photo makes me sad.

Its messy, its dirty, the knives are rusted and looks like its been in gulag not in sushi school.

The usuba though, I wonder what that is?

Yeh that looks like a Usuba to me too,Those knives should be cleaned up & a coat of oil if not being used.They are Carbon Single Bevels so they are worth something.To me it looks like the Kanji was carved in wt. a chisel

Has anyone read "The Zen of Fish." It's an interesting read that provides a good general background (history, biology/ science) of sushi and also follows a class through the first "sushi school" in California.

The book talks a little bit about the knives, and, IIRC, mentions that the kits that the students bought where around $1k, which would suggest "good quality" but nothing exotic. The main "character" (student) that the book follows is always getting in trouble for not caring for her knives well: not sharpening, letting them rust, etc.

Back