Quantcast
Opinions on Yoshikane and Masamoto???
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Opinions on Yoshikane and Masamoto???

Opinions on Yoshikane and Masamoto???

Ill try to keep this relatively short and sweet.
    I'm goin to buy myself a 240 suji for Christmas and have settled on either the Yoshikane hammer finished, or Masamoto KS. I don't really "need" it, I just want to get myself something that I'll enjoy using.
    I realize that they are very different animals, but my requirements aren't strict enough that either won't do the job well. Basically I'm just looking for a good quality wa-suji around the $300 mark that has some character (and is not too light or flexible) and will serve me well for years to come.
    I'm interested in whether the KS suji garners as much praise as their gyuto. And I realize that the Yoshikane's are old news and substantially pricier than they used to be, but they just keep calling to me..
    So if anyone has experience with either, please chime in and let me know what you like/dislike about either, or any intangible qualities they might offer. Thanks. I look forward to seeing how you guys spend my money!

I'm pretty much in love with my KS gyuto. Not sure what that does for you, but ya know...
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    I'm pretty much in love with my KS gyuto. Not sure what that does for you, but ya know...
    It certainly says something about the line as a whole. And that's part of the problem I'm having making a decision. Without regard to price/popularity/personal preference, both the SKD Yoshis and the KS knives are, for the most part, regarded as above average performers.

Quote Originally Posted by Chefdog View Post
    It certainly says something about the line as a whole. And that's part of the problem I'm having making a decision. Without regard to price/popularity/personal preference, both the SKD Yoshis and the KS knives are, for the most part, regarded as above average performers.
    If money not and object, get both test and keep the one you like better.

I have used both and prefer the Masamoto for cutting ease, but the yoshi for aesthetics.

Quote Originally Posted by kalaeb View Post
    I have used both and prefer the Masamoto for cutting ease, but the yoshi for aesthetics.
    +1

I haven't tried the sujis but I will say that there is quite a bit of variability in the KS gyutos some are lasers and other are just okay. They are also very vanilla. Steel is nice but nothing amazing in any way and the handle is just okay even for a ho wood handle (if that is what they use). The handles are also very slim relative to the Yoshikane handles. I have a Yoshikane 270 gyuto that I like quite a bit. It's not my best cutter but it's nice enough to make it into my collection. I would go with the Yoshikane, if it had to be one of those two. Like you said, it has some character, as well.

I have the Yoshikane v2 from maxim. Awesome knife

Thanks for the replies so far, I appreciate it.

If anyone has a suggestion for something else to consider, feel free to throw it out there. I realize there are cheaper options that are probably "better" performing knives (Gesshin Ginga, Yusuke, etc). But I happen to be in a position where ultimate performance and efficiency aren't necessarily the top priority. Thanks.

I haven't tried the suji but I have Masamoto ks & Yoshikane SLD 240 gyuto. both knives have great cutting performance; however, Yoshikane SLD has better edge retention than KS! I specially love Yoshikane's SLD/SKD semi-stainless steel(SLD & SKD are very similar steel, SLD contains higher carbon then SKD, It take keener edge than SKD steel), they cut/feel/sharping like carbon steel but the blade act like stainless..no need for special care & no food reactive!! on the other hand, Masamoto ks has some food reactive....I like my Yoshikane SLD over Masamoto ks; Yoshikane SLD is not my best cutter but it is my best all-around gyuto!!
    Charles ***[All statements I made here only my personal opinion and nothing more!]*** & Please bare with me for my crappy English!!

+ Reply to Thread