Opinions on Yoshikane and Masamoto???

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chefdog

Reaction score
Ill try to keep this relatively short and sweet.
I'm goin to buy myself a 240 suji for Christmas and have settled on either the Yoshikane hammer finished, or Masamoto KS. I don't really "need" it, I just want to get myself something that I'll enjoy using.
I realize that they are very different animals, but my requirements aren't strict enough that either won't do the job well. Basically I'm just looking for a good quality wa-suji around the $300 mark that has some character (and is not too light or flexible) and will serve me well for years to come.
I'm interested in whether the KS suji garners as much praise as their gyuto. And I realize that the Yoshikane's are old news and substantially pricier than they used to be, but they just keep calling to me..
So if anyone has experience with either, please chime in and let me know what you like/dislike about either, or any intangible qualities they might offer. Thanks. I look forward to seeing how you guys spend my money!

I'm pretty much in love with my KS gyuto. Not sure what that does for you, but ya know...

I'm pretty much in love with my KS gyuto. Not sure what that does for you, but ya know...

It certainly says something about the line as a whole. And that's part of the problem I'm having making a decision. Without regard to price/popularity/personal preference, both the SKD Yoshis and the KS knives are, for the most part, regarded as above average performers.

It certainly says something about the line as a whole. And that's part of the problem I'm having making a decision. Without regard to price/popularity/personal preference, both the SKD Yoshis and the KS knives are, for the most part, regarded as above average performers.
If money not and object, get both test and keep the one you like better.

I have used both and prefer the Masamoto for cutting ease, but the yoshi for aesthetics.

I haven't tried the sujis but I will say that there is quite a bit of variability in the KS gyutos some are lasers and other are just okay. They are also very vanilla. Steel is nice but nothing amazing in any way and the handle is just okay even for a ho wood handle (if that is what they use). The handles are also very slim relative to the Yoshikane handles. I have a Yoshikane 270 gyuto that I like quite a bit. It's not my best cutter but it's nice enough to make it into my collection. I would go with the Yoshikane, if it had to be one of those two. Like you said, it has some character, as well.

Thanks for the replies so far, I appreciate it.

If anyone has a suggestion for something else to consider, feel free to throw it out there. I realize there are cheaper options that are probably "better" performing knives (Gesshin Ginga, Yusuke, etc). But I happen to be in a position where ultimate performance and efficiency aren't necessarily the top priority. Thanks.

I haven't tried the suji but I have Masamoto ks & Yoshikane SLD 240 gyuto. both knives have great cutting performance; however, Yoshikane SLD has better edge retention than KS! I specially love Yoshikane's SLD/SKD semi-stainless steel(SLD & SKD are very similar steel, SLD contains higher carbon then SKD, It take keener edge than SKD steel), they cut/feel/sharping like carbon steel but the blade act like stainless..no need for special care & no food reactive!! on the other hand, Masamoto ks has some food reactive....I like my Yoshikane SLD over Masamoto ks; Yoshikane SLD is not my best cutter but it is my best all-around gyuto!!

I haven't tried the suji but I have Masamoto ks & Yoshikane SLD 240 gyuto. both knives have great cutting performance; however, Yoshikane SLD has better edge retention than KS! I specially love Yoshikane's SLD/SKD semi-stainless steel(SLD & SKD are very similar steel, SLD contains higher carbon then SKD, It take keener edge than SKD steel), they cut/feel/sharping like carbon steel but the blade act like stainless..no need for special care & no food reactive!! on the other hand, Masamoto ks has some food reactive....I like my Yoshikane SLD over Masamoto ks; Yoshikane SLD is not my best cutter but it is my best all-around gyuto!!

not true with regard to carbon content... SKD has higher carbon and is pretty much stainless by all accounts, while SLD will patina easily

Carbon content of SKD is C: 1.00 SLD is C. 1.40-1.62

Yoshikane uses SKD =SKD 12 or ANSI A2
And SLD = JIS SKD11 or ANSI D2

So SLD have higher carbon contane :)

whops... had them reveresed in my mind this morning... thats what i get for being here till 4:30am last night ;) sorry

lol... i think i work more now than when i was cooking ;)

That's saying something right there!!! Ever since I left the restaurant I ALMOST feel guilty for working a "regular" schedule when I talk to buddies who're still there.

I was involved in the passaround that maxim did with the yoshikane suji and i really enjoyed it. Cut well, loved the steel, and the hammered version has really great looks IMO. If it were me, i would go with the yoshikane.

Mike

not true with regard to carbon content... SKD has higher carbon and is pretty much stainless by all accounts, while SLD will patina easily
I have my Yoshikane SLD over a year. Just wash with water & wipe dry, never polish...... no Patina at all!!
Carbon content of SKD is C: 1.00 SLD is C. 1.40-1.62

Yoshikane uses SKD =SKD 12 or ANSI A2
And SLD = JIS SKD11 or ANSI D2

So SLD have higher carbon contane :)

Maxim, thanks for clear out!!:)

I have a Yoshi SKD petty 150 and the thing can withstand an incredibly acute edge although it does chip a bit if you exaggerate (64ish hrc).
It's the knife that allowed me (still does!) to practice angles and understand a bit better the "angle/edge cutting/edge resistance" relationship.
The core gets a patina quite easily but I think it's a nice contrast with the stainless it's clad with.
That said, it's a bit beefy at the heel and continues to be towards the edge, not sure it's something you'll want in a suji. To be fair, the blade must have an excellent geometry as I've never had any issues in wedging through food but again, maybe it's something that could be exasperated with a suji?
I just bought myself a Yusuke and am waiting patiently. If I were you and lived in the States I'd prob go for a Ginga if you want your suji to be a laser.

Now that I think of it there's also another thing: the Masamoto KS is really a single-bevel yanagi rather than a suji whereas the Yoshikane I think is a 50/50 suji allright.
You might want to consider this in making your choice :)

Now that I think of it there's also another thing: the Masamoto KS is really a single-bevel yanagi rather than a suji whereas the Yoshikane I think is a 50/50 suji allright.
You might want to consider this in making your choice :)

Hmm... I don't think so. The Masamoto is described on JCK as "Double Bevel Edge 50/50", so it is a suji.

Hmm... I don't think so. The Masamoto is described on JCK as "Double Bevel Edge 50/50", so it is a suji.

That's right, my mistake! I looked at the same page but being lazy I stopped at the writing in bold at the beginning of the page :D

Thanks for all the input guys. Looks like I'm still leaning towards the Yoshi. And still enjoying hearing everyone's opinions and thoughts.

This thread has me confused. Haha.

I have Yoshikane SKD hammered gyuto, and it is my best edge-retention kitchen blade. Even at a 5K finish, the edge remains toothy and bites in easily.

So this might be what you are looking for in a suji; however, I'd be willing to bet the Masamoto would feel much more nimble than the Yosh.

Almost no other japanese knife gives you the kind of edge the Masamoto can give you.

It is totally fu king crazy wild kind of edge, if you treat it right.
I dont care, I can sharpen it every 6 hours, its just soo cool feeling to cut with this knife.

The hammered Yoshi is SKD? I would pass...

I'm fond of Masamoto but it will be a light suji.

And I'm in Bienek's camp as far as ajoy to use.

I'm fond of Masamoto but it will be a light suji.

And I'm in Bienek's camp as far as ajoy to use.

Are we talking really light weight like the Ginga and Kono sujis (<100gr)??? There's no measurements up on JCK site for the KS wa knives. I really prefer a little weight, so this might be the straw...

My 240mm KS suji = 100,7g
I really enjoy using it and it gets a lot of use in my home kitchen.
But i mostly use it for butchering an slicing small cuts of meat.
For slicing big stuff like roasts imo you need a longer, more hefty knife.

Lars

Back