Quantcast
sharpening for scoring meat, butchery, etc...any tips?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: sharpening for scoring meat, butchery, etc...any tips?

sharpening for scoring meat, butchery, etc...any tips?

I know this is a topic that has come up before, but the answer is usually something along the lines of: don't go too high in grit, don't strop a ton, keep the edge toothy, etc...I've tried to do all these things, but still can't seem to get an edge that really really wants to bit into meats. I think that in general, my edges lack a bit of toothiness (though they haven't been terrible in comparison to other more professional edges I've used).

Today I was testing a little cheap-o Wusthof that I had bought as a Christmas present for my aunt and the knife scored meat incredibly well. I was so surprised that the stock edge on that thing had more bite than one of my edges. I usually go Gesshin 400, 2000, 5000 for my edges and finish them with stropping strokes on the 5000. I've tried staying at 2000 while being careful to remove the burr, or going up to 5000 to really make sure the burr is gone and then dropping back to 2000 briefly with stropping strokes...the edges have been great but haven't had that awesome bite for meat/butchery. Do any of you have any tips/diagnoses for the problem I might be having? Maybe my sharpening is still too wobbly? Or something else?

I usually stop at 1000 grit chosera on my scimitar debur and strop a little on 3 micron diamond. Leaves a very bitey edge the really digs into raw proteins.

Not sure on the wobbly part, but if I want toothy/biting I dont go above 2-3K of an edge and I dont strop. I usually end on my jnat aoto.

i stop at 1000 too
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

i only butcher fowl, with an ajikiri, but i stop at 1k with those. works great.

Ya I'd say 1k may and stropping on diamond always gives me a tad more bite to my edge, do this with my deba and its awesome and honesuki except I found recently I like going the gesshin 400 to 2k then strop on 400 very lightly then diamond 1 micron super sharp but toothy edge.

If you want to restore the bite on a polished, refined edge: a few edge trailing strokes on a 2k will do.

Ok, I'm going to have to go back and try this again. I don't have a 1k, so I'll try the 2k. You guys have really gotten edges that really easy bite into meat just with this technique (i.e. stopping at a low grit) alone?

2k would be low enough.

most stock edges on knives would be around 800 grit afaik.

Quote Originally Posted by heirkb View Post
    Ok, I'm going to have to go back and try this again. I don't have a 1k, so I'll try the 2k. You guys have really gotten edges that really easy bite into meat just with this technique (i.e. stopping at a low grit) alone?
    Yup! 1k followed by couple of strokes on a loaded feltpad.

I ordered a binsui recently, think it will be a perfect stone for the knives I throw proteins on.
    -"we're gonna make gluten free lasagna"

+ Reply to Thread