a little excitement

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DevinT

Reaction score
Me and my daughter were driving home from the next little town and it was snowing a bit. We were traveling about 40 mph just to be safe and the back end of the little truck started to slide, we got spun around, slid off the road and the truck ended up on one side.

The hospital shift just ended and the head nurse, the director of nurses, and the hospital administrator were right behind me. They called the police. I was hoping that they would just push the truck back over and we'd be on our way. Because of a lack of anything interesting happining in this small town, the police came, the sheriff came, the ambulance came with their lights and sirens blazing, the fire engine came with the fire chief, and the tow truck came. Two of the volunteer EMT's were driving by, who are my neighbors, so it gave me a chance to catch up on what's happening around here.

After the sheriff gave me and Amy a ride home, the highway patrol came to the house. I thought I would get a ticket but we were going slow enough that he did not give me one. We are glad that we were not hurt. The truck has a small amount of damage.

The only embarrassing thing was them trying to pull me out of the truck, another sign that I need to loose some weight.

I'm still waiting for my blood pressure to go down. I think I'll buy me a Subaru.

Love and respect

Hoss

Glad you and your daughter are ok Devin! Sounds like you'll be the talk of the town tomorrow. Nothing beats all wheel drive in the snow, though, as you said, rear wheel drive always adds a little excitement! :D

A Subaru? lol!! Glad you and your daughter are not hurt Hoss! Sliding around can be fun sometimes, but not when you don't want to. Your truck can be fixed easy enough, its a good thing there is no healing to happen, or worse!! I couldn't help laugh when I pictured ALL the emergency services showing up. I came from a small town and started picturing the conversation... Heck everybody in town would have known if it were me in the truck, long before I got home! lol!

Glad to hear you and your daughter are ok, Devin. My chef almost got into a bad one yesterday afternoon. We got a few inches of snow sunday into monday, which turned into a fine mist/drizzle. Chef was trying to stop his little toyota on the way down the hill towards a four way intersection, realized it wasn't gonna happen, and had to gun it at the last second. Said he just missed getting t-boned. Scary stuff.

- Josh

Thanks guys, the Bishop and the store owner just droped by to make sure we're okay. I think the store owner was just checking on his best customer making sure we'd be able to spend more money tomorrow.

Hoss

I can picture the scene now. Glad you are okay.

A little excitement for you, your daughter, and the whole town!

Glad you're here to tell the story, and not back in the hospital for another visit.

Glad to here you and your daughter are safe. Subaru might be a good choice, nothing worse then rear wheel drive with no weight on it in the snow. I used to be overly confident in my ability to drive in the snow till I tried to take a turn at maybe 15-20mph in my little Chevy Cavalier, I must have instinctively tapped the brakes while turning (something I'd never consciously do) and boy did the rear come around quick. With some frantic driving I was able to avoid the worst of it but I ended up with a flat, a bent rim, and a new found respect for snow/ice. If the bill didn't teach me anything, sitting in 6 inches of snow in ~0 degree weather changing a tire without a proper coat or gloves certainly did!

Glad it went well, considering. Glad that I didn't have that 'driving-in-the-snow' problem for a while...

Stefan

quite a day for excitement! glade everybody are OK! Devin, you need a full time 4 wheel drive vehicle...

Glad to here you two are okay. It's scary scary sh!t when that happens.

Glad you and Amy are ok Hoss, I say go with the four wheel drive. I wrecked my honda civic in the winter one year, got myself an Audi with some quattro and been loving the winter driving ever since. Although it is fun to get out a nice winter beater everyonce in awhile for some donuts, grab a 300$ rear wheel drive car when you need some excitement.

Glad you're both okay! Winter tires will do a lot to help with traction whether you've got AWD, RWD, FWD, or whatever.

4X4! My work truck is an F350 SuperDuty, and an F150 Lariat for personal use. Work truck is loaded, I'm at 5550 kg, traction is great... Till I loose it, then it likes to slide, and slide, and... well you get the picture. It's like the old adage, "the bigger they are, the harder they fall" we'll, same for trucks, the heavier they are, the further they slide, or deeper they get stuck! 4X4's just let guys go further before they get stuck! Then it harder to get to them to get 'em out.

All wheel, or 4by's are awesome, but need to be tempered with a little grey matter. They are better in crap weather than 2 wheel drives, but nothing is perfect.

I definitely had a few tense moments living in the midwest. No seasons in southern California is MUCH better!

Glad to hear you are ok. A little scare to create conversation with nothing serious happening is ok....at least as long as the truck repair is not too expensive :)

Good to here you and your daughter are fine. All the best

Will

Whew!!!

When I started reading your post, I was worried that something bad happened, especially with all the bad things happening in the world right now. But, I laughed at the image of what sounded like most of your town coming to your help!

I'm glad you're ok. Have a safe and Happy Holidays!

Glad you're ok, Devin. The scene does sound pretty funny, in retrospect. :)

You know you live in a small town, when your mom finds out you bought condoms before your girlfriend does. :D

I'm just surprised that someone from town didn't bring in a hot meal or at least hot chocolate and donuts to the scene of the accident.

Hoss

Glad to hear that your girl and you are OK.

I'm just surprised that someone from town didn't bring in a hot meal or at least hot chocolate and donuts to the scene of the accident....

Note to self: next time I have a fender bender, it should be a pot-luck. :thebbq:

sr

Wow, glad you are ok but it did bring back memories of winter driving in Chicago. Nothin like that mix of exhilaration and fear silding down an icy highway...

I am glad to here you are not injured.Going off the road in your neck of the woods could be deadly.

My wife and I were on our way to her Grandpa's funeral in Northern Ontario and some snowy and icy weather came on very quickly. She spun out in our car until we slammed into the meridian, facing oncoming traffic. Very scary! Lucky for us, traffic was thin and nobody hit us. However, our Mercedes E320 was totaled. I have no regrets though, because it did it's job and kept us safe. I wouldn't hesitate for a second to buy the exact same car, but with 4Matic (all wheel) drive next time.

I'm glad that you and yours escaped without injury, just as we did.

Latest posts

Back