Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting knife I just bought on the bay...

Interesting knife I just bought on the bay...

I just bought an interesting knife on ebay and wonder if anyone can help me with it. It claims to be hand made from an old file. Tip is rounded not sharp, but otherwise in good shape, not a bad geometry, very French but really dull now.

For example, should I get it rehandled or leave the original handle, any easy way f to find out what kind of ODC its made of?

Name:  IMAG0286.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  24.5 KB
    Name:  IMAG0283.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  32.4 KB
    Name:  IMAG0282.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  10.2 KB
    Name:  IMAG0281.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  10.0 KB

Doesn't look full tang. Would then need a hidden tang or wa conversion. Also needs some reprofiling as the heel seems low...all very doable, though, just depends on what it's value is to you, really.

The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Original Knerd of Knives
    I had a really good one of these that I PIF'ed to Jmadams13. It is actually NOT made from an old file though. I'll try to find some pics (I know they are here somewhere) -I got it from Son originally-big shocker right?
    "When you're driving behind a Prius, there's 100% chance that nothing exciting will happen" -Karring M.

As far as I can see, there is some serious recurve belly from oversteeling c.q. poor sharpening, and a protruding heel. A new tip has to be made, start from the spine. I hope you didn't pay too much for it.

Nope $20 I just thought it was interesting and a good sharpening project for me. Does anyone know a quick and dirty way how to tell if it tally is made from an old file andoso hrc of at least 60?

Original Knerd of Knives
    http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...hlight=library
    Follow the link and scroll down, you'll see the Old File that I had. Old File was a company, but the knives are NOT made from old files. Son did some research.
    "When you're driving behind a Prius, there's 100% chance that nothing exciting will happen" -Karring M.

that is pretty cool!! i like the one on the other thread..make it like that!!

i found a pretty fanatical knife guy at the walnut creek farmers market..he loved my old Sabatier and had to fix a very slight problem that needed some reprofile love. the guy was gushing at the old carbon steel and did the job for $15.. i did buy him a cup of coffee as well.

It is indeed pretty cool, a company called old file, clever guy!

so is the steel probably like 1095??

Quote Originally Posted by gic View Post
    It is indeed pretty cool, a company called old file, clever guy!

so is the steel probably like 1095??
    yes, more than likely 1095.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

Havana Illinois. I have three or four. One of the knife magazine convinced me they were highly valuable so I bought them at flea markets when ever I saw them. I found later there is really no collector interest. One of my knives is a lamb splitter which I have now started using again when ever I'm butchering deer. Did a great job of opening up a deer rib cage a few weeks ago.