Quantcast
What happened to the popularity of these knives?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What happened to the popularity of these knives?

What happened to the popularity of these knives?

Reading through some other threads, I was wondering what happened to some knives that used to be old staples, when I first started reading various boards. So, what happened? Did we learn more? Did the knife just not live up over the years? Did new, better stuff in the price range (maybe CarboNext, maybe Gesshin, maybe Konosuke) appear and crowd it out? Or is it just the case of fashion always changing, as fashions do?

The knives:

1: Tadatsuna: This used to be listed every time Susin Inox was, as an almost equivalent knife. Now I haven't seen the name in years, and in fact it's mention in the "great cutter" thread got me thinking.

2: Yoshikane: People used to sing the praises of the edge-retention of SKD, now I almost never see it mentioned. I have an EE SKD 240 mm Yoshi gyuto, but am somewhat dissatisfied with its thickness. Is part of why people left it? The huge price increases its seen on EE? The san mai construction?

3: Blazen: Wow, this knife was like the most popular thing ever on the KF boards maybe seven years ago. New steels push it out?

Hattori FH: People keep selling these. VG-10 just get out-shinied by the new stainless western handle lasers (Konosuke), and the new quite affordable entry level benchmark knife of CarboNext?

This last one may not belong on the list, but no one seems to push Hiromoto AS then. The name still comes up, but did people get tired of the F/F issues and the existence of better AS knives crowd it out?

No longer esoteric/novel enough. Tad is expensive compared to other Sakai layzors. Yoshikane kasumi favoured over skd hammered now.

Funny you should bring this up. I've been thinking about cyclical the market is. I can't help but think Tads are every bit as awesome as they ever were. Stefan still loves his Blazens...I just about bought a Hattori FH, yesterday. I dunno...it's just how the market goes. The secret is to love what you love.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

The aritsugu a type has disappeared too

Tadatsuna seems to have closed up shop. Their website http://www.itkitchenknife.com/ has been out of commission for many months, or has it been years now? A few months ago I tried send an e-mail to Hideki San, and it was bounced. I've seen threads ask what happened to them with no answers.

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    The aritsugu a type has disappeared too
    Oh man, Aritsugu! Just the mention of that makes me miss KCMA. We should all get A-types and sharpen them with massively asymmetric, convex bevels

With a ~10 degree included angle!

Senior Member AFKitchenknivesguy's Avatar
    At one time I had a Tad Honyaki custom made for me, I miss it. I still have a petty, INOX, that is simply awesome. It can't weigh more than an ounce or two.
    Jason

I think yoshikane is well in demand now.

Ikkanshi-tad is simply an awesome knife. I'm thankful every time I use them I bought when I did. Their shop closed after the Japanese disaster but I have no idea why. I tried to contact Hideki as well with no luck. He was awesome to work with. Some of the sharpest knives OOB I've ever seen. I have a Inox western handled petty, 185mm gyuto and a 270 suj. My only regret is that I didn't order a WA Gyuto as well.

Dave

+ Reply to Thread