Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Electronic Cigarettes

But you can kick an opiate habit while you sleep.......or are knocked the hell out with some other kind of powerful drug. LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by Cipcich View Post
    Let's hear from all the dyed-in-the-wool junkies out there.
    What hurts worse, 12 hours without a cigarette, or 12 hours without your opiate of choice?
    Just wake me when it's over.

I've spoken with a number of people who use them. They have all quit smoking but they actually go and get high on nicotine far more often than they used to. Some of them go around using their little vaporizers continuously nearly all day. I'm sure it's better for them and me but I'm not sure it's a great thing either.

I used the cheap ones to quit smoking. I just set rules where I wouldn't use the e cigarette unless I would be able to smoke a real cigarette, so no hitting it in bed because I could, I still had to get up and go outside. After a month I weaned myself off. I'm seven months out after fifteen years of pack plus a day, and I don't know if I could have made it without the winding down period of the e cigarettes.

i was able to use it FAR less than cigarettes immediately.
    Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    I've spoken with a number of people who use them. They have all quit smoking but they actually go and get high on nicotine far more often than they used to. Some of them go around using their little vaporizers continuously nearly all day. I'm sure it's better for them and me but I'm not sure it's a great thing either.

I know I should just leave this one alone, but I can't. I have, of course, heard the urban myth about cigarettes being more addicting than just about anything. What a bunch of crap.
    Listening to people addicted to nicotine and playing with their electronic toys reminds me of the folks who use gizmos to sharpen their knives. It's the sign of a weak mind.
    The reality of kicking an opiate habit for most folks is not just a matter of checking into the local spa and sleeping it off. And I'm not surprised that no other junkies weighed in here, but after they finished laughing about people whining about cigarettes, they probably had to find their next fix before their life turned to hell.
    Anyone who would argue otherwise simply does not know what they're talking about.

Yeah, you should have left that one alone. Having see a fair number of addicts, etc. I would say that alcohol may be one of the toughest habits to kick for the person who is TRULY one of those "real" alcoholics that the treatment folks talk about and supposedly physically processes alcohol differently than regular folks. As for the weak mind comment, are you implying that it takes a STRONG mind to get hooked on smack? That is one drug that always struck me as being fairly easy to avoid through the use of artificial boundaries like the old "I'll do this and that, but I will never stick a needle in my arm."[ Oh, and by the way, if you have been in treament, you know that you just did the "your'e not a REAL addict" thing which would have gotten uyoui slapped down HARD by any competent conselor.QUOTE=Cipcich;166121]I know I should just leave this one alone, but I can't. I have, of course, heard the urban myth about cigarettes being more addicting than just about anything. What a bunch of crap.
    Listening to people addicted to nicotine and playing with their electronic toys reminds me of the folks who use gizmos to sharpen their knives. It's the sign of a weak mind.
    The reality of kicking an opiate habit for most folks is not just a matter of checking into the local spa and sleeping it off. And I'm not surprised that no other junkies weighed in here, but after they finished laughing about people whining about cigarettes, they probably had to find their next fix before their life turned to hell.
    Anyone who would argue otherwise simply does not know what they're talking about.[/QUOTE]

So...... Back to e-cigerettes?

Quote Originally Posted by The hekler View Post
    So...... Back to e-cigerettes?
    Precisely. Point being that they can work for you.

My opinion is that any addiction can be ended if you want to end it.
    I enjoy my cigarettes but am approaching slowing down and then stopping because it is my most detrimental vice.
    The e-cigarettes have helped me to cut back quite about without becoming too much of a grump.
    Mark Farley / Burl Source
    Phone 541-287-1029, Email burlsource@gmail.com
    Visit our web store

Nah. When someone tells me to leave it alone, my natural instinct is to chew harder. So, with deference to the OP, upon whom I rely to support my wood habit, and therefore do not wish to offend, I just have to respond. It's the dog in me.

Of course I did not imply that " . . it takes a strong mind to get hooked on smack", as you well know. I am saying that if you believe quitting smoking means you deserve a merit badge then you're in the Twinkie troop. Just do it; you don't need a crutch.

If, on the other hand, you're looking for a challenge, I can suggest any number of alternatives . . .