Electronic Cigarettes

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burl Source

Weird Wood Pusher
Reaction score
I am curious if anyone has tried E-Cigarettes.

The first I ever heard of them was when I saw Johnny Depp in the movie "The Tourist".
Some time went by then a week ago one of the workers was puffing on something with a blue light at the end.
Looked like he was blowing smoke so I had to ask. It was an e-cigarette.

On my way home I stopped at the drug store and asked the pharmacist about them.
I told him that I have been smoking for a long time and thought they might help with quitting smoking.
He encouraged me to try using e-cigarettes as an aid to quit smoking.

They didn't sell them there but he told me a couple places in town that sells them.
All I found were the cheap versions but I thought I would give them a try.

Well.....it was not the same as a real cigarette. But it was better than I expected.
The taste is off a bit, and I drop it when I just hold it in my lips.
It does give me the nicotine like a cigarette and gets rid of the desire for a real one after a few puffs.

I haven't quit smoking the real ones yet.
But since I got the e-cigarette I am only smoking half as much as usual.

I am heading to San Diego next week and will see if I can find a better e-cigarette and get serious about quitting smoking for real.

I am curious to hear if anyone else has tried them.
What you thought and any suggestions.

No personal experience, but I can tell you that the health professionals have conflicting views. My position? Whatever helps you to reduce or even stop smoking cigarettes is good. The nicotine is mostly what keeps you addicted, all the other stuff in the cigarette smoke is what kills you. So, switching to e-cigarettes and then eventually fading those also out eventually, seems to be a strategy that is promising. Not that many studies out there, yet, but it would make sense.

On the other hand, be careful with those capsules. Nicotine is highly toxic, and in each one of these capsules is enough nicotine to kill you if ingested all at once. Someone told me once that his e-cigarette leaked a bit, so he kept licking it off - not a good idea... There are also no regulations of what can be in there and that gives the - predominantly Chinese - producers a lot of freedom to put all kinds of crap in there that may also not exactly be healthy for you.

Stefan

My point of view it still stinks. But on the other hand if it does get you off the cancer stix then I'm all for it. Interesting point Stefan had about China being the manufactures.

Crothipt, the e-cigs have little or no smell and no residual smell. Three days into using them, I could not stand the smell of a heavy smoker close to me.

Mark, I posted my response on BF if you haven't seen it yet.

Don't get me wrong. I have never smoked and can smell when some one lights up, right away. I can smell these too. Being around everyone in my family that smoked, growing up I could even tell what flavors they were. I have been told I am very susceptible to the smoke.

I found no success with the regular e-cigs (the ones that look and "taste" like a cigerette) just made me wanna smoke more. A few months ago I ran into what people around here call a e-hookah though and it's made all the difference, this is a rechargeable unit that you just change the reservoir in and can be refilled. I found none of the cigerette flavors to be anything close to the real thing but with thee-hookah there are thousands of different flavors, my favorite is proprietary to the shop that I buy it but its basically a mentholated cinnamon flavor, it gives you the full mouth flavor like a cigerette but tastes delicious, smells great and the shop will add nicotine to it so you can work yourself off the addiction now I'm down to the equivilant of an ultra light and will soon switch to no nicotine. The unit I own is a LEO pro by Innokin and I love it would recommend it to anyone trying to quit.

Hey, I am a huge advocate of e-cigs. Good ones...not the cheap ones you will find in a grocery store. However, there is so many different brands and "mods" and stuff in this world...I don't have the inclination to learn about everything.

I highly suggest you check out http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/ and make time to read through the newbie stuff and get something to get you started asap.

I didn't have time to read all that stuff and just ended up buying a kit. Mine is called EGO-C or something...anyways, its good enough for me and as long as I don't read about all the cool stuff I'm missing out on, ignorance is bliss...

Anyways, its completely turned me off smoking real cigarettes (they call them analogs, but i find that stupid). After a couple days of using ecigs, I tried a normal cig and it was gross...disgusting! Now I hardly even use the ecig, I'm 100% positive I could just drop it all together. But I don't because...its nice! You get a nice nicotine hit, but without the coughing and breathlessness after a quick run.

Really though, the forum has lots of info and the people there are super helpful. If I had more money, I would be buying this kit for everybody I know that smokes.

And there is absolutely no smell on these...well, sometimes you can smell something lingering, but it vanishes quick (its only water vapor being released) and is nowhere close to a "smoke" smell. its almost like a perfume that lingers for a minute. One advice, don't get flavors that try to simulate a cigarette. They don't work. Just get flavors of things you like, there are hundreds of flavors. I'm partial to citrus-type flavors, especially one called lemon-lime.

You can even get into making your OWN nicotine juice, so you know exactly whats in it.

From what I understand, several of the e-cigarette forums are openly or not openly organized by the producers of the things and I would try to take some infos there with a grain of salt. But, as I said above, from a health perspective, anything that can get you away from regular cigarettes is most likely a good thing.

Stefan

Alternatively, one could just stop smoking. There are harder things in life.

Good luck w/ quitting Mark, hope this helps. Been there and it sucks...:curse:

I wish you luck Mark. I was one of the lucky ones. I quit about 15 years ago and was able to quit cold Turkey. Three weeks after quitting I tried one after a few cocktails and just about threw up because it just didn't taste good anymore. I haven't had one since. I still like an occasional cigar, but have cut way back on those too.

Alternatively, one could just stop smoking. There are harder things in life.

Yeah, I quit smoking every time I throw the end of a ciggy away.

Ive been trying to quit for 3 weeks this time around. had a total of 3 smokes in two nights during that time until last night. Got drunk, and found myself halfway down a pack of Marb Reds by 4 in the morning. Boy, do I ever try to quit. All my friends smoke though, and every time I am quitting, the people in the tv are smoking and I cant stand to sit on the couch.

E-cigs...for me, personally very dangerous. I have a highly addictive personality and seem to space out very often (adult a-d-d like) I remember when e-cigs first came out my buddies grandpa bought a truckload of them and started selling them at fairs and whatnot. So we ended up with a few of them, we would just sit around and slam those suckers all day long while bsing on local couches around town. Those refill cartridges didn't stand a chance.

Nowadays, the ecigs have improved a ton Id say, I have tried a few here and there...I really like flavors like Gumby Blood and Unicorn Blood, and I really like the idea that I could take a quick puff in the middle of my shift in the bathroom and the vent would take the vapors that smell like watermelon and waft them away and Id still have a nic rush.

So - as I type this and ponder, Im probably going to get myself another e-cig today because I really really want to quit smoking. BUT, I think that after all this blabber, what I wanted to say is that its really hard to tell how much nic you are taking in no matter what dose is in your refill because there is no way to track the "amount" of cigarettes youve had in a day.

I quit 20 yrs ago and it was one of the hardest things I ever quit doing. It is however one of the best things you can do for yourself and I encourage you to kick the habit. Once you get your senses of smell and taste back you'll be glad you did.

lol i got my dad the eversmoke E-cigarette for xmas present. :happymug:

Heh. I didn't say it was easy, just implied that there are other addictions that are much tougher to beat.

I used to smoke a couple packs of Camel straights a day until I realized that if the smoking didn't kill me outright, I would die of aggravation over having poisoned myself.

Heh. I didn't say it was easy, just implied that there are other addictions that are much tougher to beat.

I used to smoke a couple packs of Camel straights a day until I realized that if the smoking didn't kill me outright, I would die of aggravation over having poisoned myself.

I've personally had quite a few addictions and must say that ciggies were for me the hardest of all to quit...

According to many who don't like tobacco, nicotine is one of THE hardest addictions to kick.

Let's hear from all the dyed-in-the-wool junkies out there.
What hurts worse, 12 hours without a cigarette, or 12 hours without your opiate of choice?
Just wake me when it's over.

But you can kick an opiate habit while you sleep.......or are knocked the hell out with some other kind of powerful drug. LOL
Let's hear from all the dyed-in-the-wool junkies out there.
What hurts worse, 12 hours without a cigarette, or 12 hours without your opiate of choice?
Just wake me when it's over.

I've spoken with a number of people who use them. They have all quit smoking but they actually go and get high on nicotine far more often than they used to. Some of them go around using their little vaporizers continuously nearly all day. I'm sure it's better for them and me but I'm not sure it's a great thing either.

I used the cheap ones to quit smoking. I just set rules where I wouldn't use the e cigarette unless I would be able to smoke a real cigarette, so no hitting it in bed because I could, I still had to get up and go outside. After a month I weaned myself off. I'm seven months out after fifteen years of pack plus a day, and I don't know if I could have made it without the winding down period of the e cigarettes.

i was able to use it FAR less than cigarettes immediately.
I've spoken with a number of people who use them. They have all quit smoking but they actually go and get high on nicotine far more often than they used to. Some of them go around using their little vaporizers continuously nearly all day. I'm sure it's better for them and me but I'm not sure it's a great thing either.

I know I should just leave this one alone, but I can't. I have, of course, heard the urban myth about cigarettes being more addicting than just about anything. What a bunch of crap.
Listening to people addicted to nicotine and playing with their electronic toys reminds me of the folks who use gizmos to sharpen their knives. It's the sign of a weak mind.
The reality of kicking an opiate habit for most folks is not just a matter of checking into the local spa and sleeping it off. And I'm not surprised that no other junkies weighed in here, but after they finished laughing about people whining about cigarettes, they probably had to find their next fix before their life turned to hell.
Anyone who would argue otherwise simply does not know what they're talking about.

Yeah, you should have left that one alone. Having see a fair number of addicts, etc. I would say that alcohol may be one of the toughest habits to kick for the person who is TRULY one of those "real" alcoholics that the treatment folks talk about and supposedly physically processes alcohol differently than regular folks. As for the weak mind comment, are you implying that it takes a STRONG mind to get hooked on smack? :eyebrow: That is one drug that always struck me as being fairly easy to avoid through the use of artificial boundaries like the old "I'll do this and that, but I will never stick a needle in my arm."[ Oh, and by the way, if you have been in treament, you know that you just did the "your'e not a REAL addict" thing which would have gotten uyoui slapped down HARD by any competent conselor.:lol2:QUOTE=Cipcich;166121]I know I should just leave this one alone, but I can't. I have, of course, heard the urban myth about cigarettes being more addicting than just about anything. What a bunch of crap.
Listening to people addicted to nicotine and playing with their electronic toys reminds me of the folks who use gizmos to sharpen their knives. It's the sign of a weak mind.
The reality of kicking an opiate habit for most folks is not just a matter of checking into the local spa and sleeping it off. And I'm not surprised that no other junkies weighed in here, but after they finished laughing about people whining about cigarettes, they probably had to find their next fix before their life turned to hell.
Anyone who would argue otherwise simply does not know what they're talking about.[/QUOTE]

My opinion is that any addiction can be ended if you want to end it.
I enjoy my cigarettes but am approaching slowing down and then stopping because it is my most detrimental vice.
The e-cigarettes have helped me to cut back quite about without becoming too much of a grump.

Nah. When someone tells me to leave it alone, my natural instinct is to chew harder. So, with deference to the OP, upon whom I rely to support my wood habit, and therefore do not wish to offend, I just have to respond. It's the dog in me.

Of course I did not imply that " . . it takes a strong mind to get hooked on smack", as you well know. I am saying that if you believe quitting smoking means you deserve a merit badge then you're in the Twinkie troop. Just do it; you don't need a crutch.

If, on the other hand, you're looking for a challenge, I can suggest any number of alternatives . . .

Back