Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ageing of knifes vs price.

Ageing of knifes vs price.

Hi people. I had a nice conversation in my work about spending money. It is obvious that it is individual case so for one person buying a knive for 400£ will be normal, for another person spending 400£ on new graphic card every year will be ok and for next person 400£ for Gucii shoes will be just fine. I've gave you those specific examples because we used them in our chat. So I started to think about it. Graphic card will loose valuation after 6 months, Gucci shoes (or any other shoes) will definitely loose valuation or they might be damaged but what about knifes?? Let's say that we've got hi-end knife, made by famous blacksmith and we are taking care about it?? Is it going to loose it's valuation let's say after 20 years?? What do you think??

if the said blacksmith is no longer with us and if he was especially gifted and if the knife itself was especially made well then it won't lose too much in value so long as it's in great condition and lovingly used.

besides if it was unused and it was like what i mentioned, then it might even go up in price.

=D

that's just my opinion though.

In real estate they say "location, location, location" but for knives, it's "condition, condition, condition".

If the knife has been cared for and still has life, it may well be worth the same or more in 20 years.

If it's a gyuto, it would also depend on the fashions at the time when you want to sell. Single-bevels don't seem to have such waves of fashion, but we certainly see it for gyutos over even short 2-3 year timeframes
    Len

graphic card becomes obsolete within 6 months. that's teh nature of the IT industry and it does seem that prices gets cheaper all the time!

Gucii.. Fashion is fickle adn it may come back .

Knives.. the Design Shouldn't change much and not much has changed with the exception of the material used ( possibly enhanced in processing) due to the ever changing evolution and of technology adn cost of materials used.

whatever the item is.. at the end of the day.. it is the level of satisfaction derived.

If my knife cost $1000 and i use it every day.. then the cost per use is really low for say 20 years. $50 dollars per year and .

There's another intangible factor that matters for some people... pride of ownership, bragging rights etc.

so it's different strokes for different folks..

rgds
    d

This is a much discussed topic on other knife forums where many of the collectors have tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars in their knife collection. What I have taken from it is that it depends allot on the type of knife, the reason you bought it and how much you paid. If it is a kitchen knife and it is well taken care of and is from a respected maker, and you paid for it based on the value of the tool and its utility, then I would say you have a very good chance of getting most of your money back or maybe more.

Now if you bought the knife from a hot maker or someone you believed would be the next hot maker and how much you paid for it become major variables. A few quick scenarios of which there are the potential for many more:
    Hot Maker- You pay top dollar- makers popularity declines- you will probably lose money on the sale
    Hot Maker- you pay top dollar- Makers popularity increases- you will make money on the sale
    Potential Hot Maker- you get a good deal because he is just making a name- popularity increases- you will make money
    Potential Hot Maker- you get a good deal because he is just making a name- he never catches on in popularity- you will lose money.

Spokane, WA aka Spokanistan, or Spoklahoma, or...
    Quote Originally Posted by JMJones View Post
    This is a much discussed topic on other knife forums where many of the collectors have tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars in their knife collection. What I have taken from it is that it depends allot on the type of knife, the reason you bought it and how much you paid. If it is a kitchen knife and it is well taken care of and is from a respected maker, and you paid for it based on the value of the tool and its utility, then I would say you have a very good chance of getting most of your money back or maybe more.

Now if you bought the knife from a hot maker or someone you believed would be the next hot maker and how much you paid for it become major variables. A few quick scenarios of which there are the potential for many more:
    Hot Maker- You pay top dollar- makers popularity declines- you will probably lose money on the sale
    Hot Maker- you pay top dollar- Makers popularity increases- you will make money on the sale
    Potential Hot Maker- you get a good deal because he is just making a name- popularity increases- you will make money
    Potential Hot Maker- you get a good deal because he is just making a name- he never catches on in popularity- you will lose money.
    Sounds about right.

i liek that run down and at the end of the day is you can say its worth XX$ in your collection but till its sold you cant put a true price on it

It's tricky but I'd say in most cases if you have a well looked-after knife it'll gain in value. Most knifemakers increase their prices at some point. It's also the case that the more you spend the more the knife will increase in value. If you buy a Kono HD it's not gonna appreciate as much as a Shigefusa. It is also the case that some knives get less popular because there are cheaper/better options so you are never gonna get back what you paid for them.

Quote Originally Posted by l r harner View Post
    i liek that run down and at the end of the day is you can say its worth XX$ in your collection but till its sold you cant put a true price on it
    that is so true! the market value price and true value price are way different! its all depend on market demand.....I has a Gil Hibben custom knife which he sold one for $10,000 on the knife show. Gil made special one for me with Damascus blade. I have been try to sell the knife for $8000 for years.......there just no market/buyer now-a-days
    BTW, anybody interesting???
    Charles ***[All statements I made here only my personal opinion and nothing more!]*** & Please bare with me for my crappy English!!