Quantcast
Carter Paring?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Carter Paring?

Carter Paring?

anyone used one of the carter 3" paring knives?

I have a butch harner petty and a warther but thinking of switching.

the carter looks a bit thick or something, also I'd need to rehandle that, so could end up with a very expensive paring knife lol

failing that maybe one of the forum FH's?

I tend to peel lots of potatoes granny style in hand lol and garlic etc.

The rest of veg tasks just go to my carter waboucho.

anyone any other suggestions?

I don't have anything to say about the Carter since I don't own one but I can tell you that I have three versions of that Harner parer and nothing I've used comes close to being as good a parer as that.

I don't peel potatoes often but I haven't found a better knife for peeling fruits.

If you're getting rid of the Harner let me know since I want one as an EDC.

-Sam

parer.

I agree, Its certainly not a bad knife and the amboyna is stunning.

I just find it awkward for peeling tasks, for coreing and detail work and on the board its great.

Quote Originally Posted by playford View Post
    I agree, Its certainly not a bad knife and the amboyna is stunning.

I just find it awkward for peeling tasks, for coreing and detail work and on the board its great.
    When I get home ill put up a pic of a different profile. It's got quite a bit more curve to it which helps with the peeling. Also the handle is longer too.

You might want to ask Butch to see if you can get one modified more to your liking, though I don't believe I've seen him on the forum much recently.

Personally, I'd keep the Harner and buy a Kyocera ceramic peeler.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

I have been using a 4-inch version of the same knife for years. My all time favorite paring knife. I liked it enough that I bought a spare for when the first one wears our. You do need to be careful not to pry with them. Those outer layers of steel are very soft and will bend. I learned that while cutting some ghee out of a jar that had been in the frig. Not really rock hard or anything but not supper soft either . The knife came out with a big bend in the blade which I straightened with my bare hands.

Quote Originally Posted by ecchef View Post
    Personally, I'd keep the Harner and buy a Kyocera ceramic peeler.
    and miss the fun of playing with knives lol

tracking down a carter paring in a small size could be fun, he seems to have loads of petty sizes but few very small.

I didn't mention I also have 5-inch and a 4-inch with a much wider blade versions of that knife.

you mean the carter I take it as the harner is all s30v I think?

I've never used one of Carter's parers, but I do know someone who has one and says it's a really good parer. Come to think of it, he has two... This goes back to a thread that Devin started a couple weeks ago, but I think the Carter, while kinda ugly, would be a really good parer for in-hand peeling, because of the heel location. It's flush/inside of flush from the handle, which makes it so your hand doesn't have to stretch out as much during use. But, I'm not a fan of the hollow grind type of edge he has on it. You kinda lose some useable edge (where a lot happens, to boot).

The Harner parer, to me looks like it would do double duty, but maybe be a bit challenging for peeling. The heel is out from the handle (makes you work harder with in-hand tasks), but it's not so far that it makes it impossible to use as a peeler. I like the blade shape, as well.

I might be slightly biased, however, I know Butch and Murray's work really well, and would go with Butch on this one. He can grind insanely thin and consistent blades (just like Murray), but the aesthetics are much better, which is important. Maybe send him an email to see if he'll bring the edge in on your parer. BUT, if you want a new knife, for the heck of it, then grab a new one from Butch or Murray. You can't go wrong either way. Oh, there's always Pierre, as well.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

+ Reply to Thread