PS. Check your mail

warren's sous vide is a mouthful of deliciousness....ryan

Quote Originally Posted by UnConundrum View Post
    LOL, I remember that night Dave

PS. Check your mail

That day changed my life.

You've got mail now.

Quote Originally Posted by FryBoy View Post
    Hasn't the sous vide craze pretty much run its course? I don't see much future for it myself.
    interesting you say this. in this article, the former CTO of Microsoft turned mad kitchen scientist says that one of this motivation to start investing in culinary research is that when he assumed that everybody knew what sous vide was and went out to get some literature, he found out that was really no formalized knowledge on it, except for a couple of books (which i would guess are keller and adria).

Quote Originally Posted by dreamsignals View Post
    interesting you say this. in this article, the former CTO of Microsoft turned mad kitchen scientist says that one of this motivation to start investing in culinary research is that when he assumed that everybody knew what sous vide was and went out to get some literature, he found out that was really no formalized knowledge on it, except for a couple of books (which i would guess are keller and adria).
    His book is more geared towards modernist cuisine and really gets into the how's and why's of the techniques. Sous vide has been written about by several different people... I believe one of the home units includes Thomas Keller's book regarding the use of such techniques along with several of his recipes. While virtually every restaurant that practices modernist cuisine employs the use of sous vide as cooking method, every restaurant that uses sous vide does not practice modernist cuisine. The two do not necessarily go hand in hand.

I think that sous vide is gaining respect from the top(fine dining and eventually to home cooks), but I am rooting for the rise of the microwave in pro kitchens. Wanna talk about different? It makes food cook ITSELF. Microwaves, properly used, are not to be ashamed of. A stove can be used to boil flaccid frozen veggies too, you know.

I just got into it last month and I'm having a hoot.
    Been eating out of that water bath 5 days a week for the past 3 weeks now.
    Have I discovered some amazing things? Yes
    Could I have done some dishes better with a different method? Yes
    Have I had an absolute kick in the pants the whole time? Absolutely!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    Well done steak = Tough (but I can't eat the red stuff)

Sous Vide well done steak = Butter

It won me on this alone.
    I've been toying with the idea of building a sous vide bath, and I think you just sold me on it. My wife prefers her steak more done than many of us, and I always cringe a little bit when I have to make a nice piece of steak medium well and tough.

I've got about half of what I need to build one laying around. All I really need is a switch, some heating elements, and a small circulation pump and I'm good to go.

-d

Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    Ok, I have everything for this except some wiring to make a plug for the crock pot and a type J thermocouple. I do have several type K probes laying around though that should work until I can get a J in...and I'm home from work today taking care of my wife who has a nasty cold....hrmmmm.....

So, will there be a separate thread for sous vide recipes or should they land here? I've got some short ribs in the freezer that are begging for this technique, but I don't know if I'll be able to wait 2 or 3 days to eat them...

-d

+ Reply to Thread