Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What will 2013 Bring?

What will 2013 Bring?

I am going to implement some changes for 2013. Hopefully they will all be for the better.
    If anyone has any suggestions I am willing to listen even though I am kind of Hard Headed.
    You guys/gals made 2012 a real good year. More than doubled 2011's numbers. So Thank You!

Some of the wood for the new year arrived today from K&G. Plus there is more enroute and a lot more currently getting stabilized.
    I am going to try to do larger batches so there will always be a large selection.

This is what arrived today. Next week I will start cleaning it up to be ready for the Grand Re-Opening of the Web Store on the 1st.

If you have any constructive comments or ideas how to make things better, please post them here.
    On the first I will do a drawing and give away a prize to one of you who post your ideas.
    Not sure what the prize will be. Maybe my magic rock?
    It protects you from getting abducted by aliens. It has worked great for me so far.
    Mark Farley / It's a Burl
    Phone 541-592-5071, Email burlsource@gmail.com
    Visit our web store

You used to have a link that would bring you to the new stuff. Not that I mind looking through 6 or 7 pages of really nice wood (not in that way!) but it was just convenient is all.

Mark,

How about offering smaller pieces (cut offs, etc) for ferrules or spacers? You could offer them bundled with full size pieces as a package.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Hey Mark, you always do a great job of informing us of what you have going on at the store. But maybe have a notify me application for some of your out of stock stuff. May help you see what some of us, or others, are waiting for, and you could go on scavenger hunts for it. Would also help some of us that aren't online, and sometimes miss the fantastic pieces you post.

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    work with Gater to do a app. that would be cool. Not like you don't have all the time in the world.
    Chewie's the man.

I'd like to see some more unusual wood types from the left coast. Plus 1 to the idea of small pieces for ferrules.
    one man gathers what another man spills...

Have to thank you myself for the beautiful selections you propose. I'm in love with the koa I bought from you and waiting for a local artisan to implement it on my hattori gyuto. Haven't heard from the guy yet, bugger, there's Hobbit frenzy right now in NZ and he's full with work making knives... I'll post pics when I get it!

A "new arrivals" page would be cool. This is a long shot but maybe work with a company like benchcrafted and do some very cool burl magnetic bars?

This is some dyed maple burl that arrived today. K&G just called to let me know some more Karelian Birch shipped out today.
    My friends in Russia just mailed several dozen more blocks of the Birch and are looking into getting me some high grade Circassian Walnut.

I will most likely return to posting new arrivals and a high end/collectors grade categories.

As for magnet strips I am looking for a way to make them without using a gazillion individual rare earth magnets.
    People seem to like the idea of a natural edge on burl pieces for the strips.

I am looking for a source of magnets that would be a long section strong enough to hold a knife through a thin layer of wood.

I have gone back and forth with myself about ferrule pieces.
    What I am struggling with is shipping cost.
    If someone purchased just one ferrule piece for $10 or $15 with Free Shipping I would spend $16.95 to ship it internationally.

I like the idea of continuing Free Shipping Worldwide.
    I don't want to implement minimum orders or surcharges.
    That sort of thing annoys me when I am purchasing online.
    Overall I am trying to eliminate any annoyances and make things as customer friendly as possible.
    Visit our web store

Something else I am curious about.
    Single piece cutting board blanks.

I have some 10-12 inch wide planks of figured mahogany and bubinga.
    This is old stock stuff from the 80's.
    At one time I was going to sell it as guitar wood, but I was thinking about use as light duty cutting boards.
    My thought was to cut to size, router the edges and drum sand them flat to about 60 grit.
    It would not be a finished piece, more like a partially prepped piece.
    This way it could be a do-it yourself project that would only require the person finishing it to have a palm sander for tools.
    Visit our web store