Need your professional opinion on this chef knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

franzb69

Reaction score
420691_10150511653525986_602110366_n.jpg

Gastro Chef knives are Stainless Steel 440A with a hardness above HRC62

it's a local brand, made in my country. designed by a danish chef. mass produced stuff.

i know there are better knives, i just wanna know how this knife will act in the kitchen without having to spend cash on it.

for more info:
http://www.gastro-chef.com/media/wysiwyg/brochures/A5_Culinary_Ver5.pdf

thanks everyone.

440 is not considered a good steel around here. From what I remember, that the carbide is to large for a kitchen knife. The blade looks cool tho. Makes me wonder what they would do with some excellent steel.

That's got a HUGE bolster. If you decide to buy it, consider buying a small grinder if you plan on sharpening it yourself.

well that's what we get from getting a dane to design it. i already tried to tell them this since they have a facebook account that the designer himself runs. didn't listen. their loss.

woulda been great if they actually listened to their buyers. but most people here don't even know what a good knife is. they're still all stuck on wuthofs and henckels. globals are available here though, very limited choices.

i've held some of these and the fit and finish on the blade sucks. the handles are okay. great wood, bad quality control.

but they only cost less than 40$ per 8inch chef knife. so that's pretty cheap.

they have pretty good chopping boards too.

440C is a decent cutlery steel. 440A is low carbon. I don't think I've ever seen anything good in 440A and certainly not at 62 hrc. I would pass.

Does "designed by a Danish chef" mean that he said, "put a brown handle on it!"? I can't see anything "designed" by someone, other than Henckels....

Tk is right, 440C can be a pretty good steel, but 440a???

I don't get the whole bolster thing. There's an outfit called Schmidt Bros. and all but one of their offerings have a full bolster. Everything about their knives from the profile to the steel is German. Yet the price point is low enough and they are hawked in print as a "USA" outfit so people (home cooks) are drinking the Kool Aid.

I don't mind--in fact I like--a partial bolster such as one sees on some Sabs and other vintage knives.
french-hunting-trousse-with-ivory-heads-and-original-scabbard.-ref-6453-%5B5%5D-43-p.jpg

The above picture is a very conservative example of such a bolster. Nonetheless, one of the things I love about partial bolsters are that they allow for my middle finger to press up against the flat (a larger surface areas) for more comfort and control. It's a subtle thing, but when I use bolster-less [chef's] knives and switch back to my Sab I really notice this difference.

So for me a partial bolster adds to the function and aesthetic of the knife.

With that said, I think the overdone (one could call gaudy) versions found on some [contemporary] German knives and the one linked in the thread are not only unpleasant looking, but extremely impractical and unnecessary--I would pass.

Does "designed by a Danish chef" mean that he said, "put a brown handle on it!"? I can't see anything "designed" by someone, other than Henckels....

lol, can't really say anything about that since chefs aren't exactly knife designers and the guy that designed these probably only knew about european style knives so that's what he went with. =D

thank you everyone for your tips

Back