Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: can you force patina a carbonext?

can you force patina a carbonext?

After reading all 28 pages of the patina thread I have pretty much decided I want to apply a patina on my recently purchased 240 carbonext gyuto which i use just for home kitchen use. I saw both the mustard and blood methods and i know they are effective on true carbon knives, I am unsure of how it would be on the semi stainless carbonext. I know that some will say just let a natural patina develop but altho I love the edge the knife has, visually it is pretty flat.

I posted in the patina thread but due to being such an old thread and i wanna work on my knife while new before it's own patina begins, i thought id throw a thread up. I looked around on various other lesser knife forums but the information and real experience is lacking. Thanks in advance for the help/tips.

I've never seen anything on a CarboNEXT other than a graying and loss of lustre. Good luck with that.

Yes, you can force a patina on it, but the results are not going to be what you are looking for. The patina will be more of a matte grey,and probably splotchy. I would just use it normal and let it gets its own battle scars.

Dammit, got all excited about the potential and how to better this blade could look. Anyone out there actually developed some forced attractive patina on this knife?

I've done it with mustard on my TKC. I left a mustard/vinegar mixture on the blade for about two hours and voila, an unremarkable patina. Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures for you, but it was pretty light and a tad splotchy. However, the knife had a even graying going on before I forced a patina, so that may have inhibited the process.

Blue Sharpie?
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    Blue Sharpie?
    once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Semi stainless patina is rather unatractive. Initially it can resemble waterspots or a dulled film. I've never achieved anything remotely attractive on my heavily used Kono HDs.
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

The incredibly sophisticated Boise, ID <g>
    heh...posted the day after the "how do I get this patina off my blade" question. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by NO ChoP! View Post
    Semi stainless patina is rather unatractive. Initially it can resemble waterspots or a dulled film. I've never achieved anything remotely attractive on my heavily used Kono HDs.
    That's true for the HD's, CN, A-type but not true for SKD )(Heiji/Yoshikane), Devin's swr, and the Gengetsu steel. Those guys make nice dark patina with some reds and blues mixed in.