Quantcast
Can I Get a Kanji Translation on Aisle 5?
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Can I Get a Kanji Translation on Aisle 5?

Can I Get a Kanji Translation on Aisle 5?

Hey, all! My father picked up a rather old looking Hori Hori (I know, it's not a kitchen knife, but it could be used in the kitchen in an emergency), and I thought that maybe someone here might be able to help out with a kanji deciphering. Soooooo, what's it say?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3318931...in/photostream

Thanks for your time and trouble.
    -Mark

kanji mean- "special made by 貞義"! 貞義 is knifemaker's name but I have no ideal who he is?? maybe Mari from Korin can help.....
    Charles ***[All statements I made here only my personal opinion and nothing more!]*** & Please bare with me for my crappy English!!

Thanks! That gets us partway to our destination!
    -Mark

Quote Originally Posted by cclin View Post
    kanji mean- "special made by 貞義"! 貞義 is knifemaker's name but I have no ideal who he is?? maybe Mari from Korin can help.....
    It translates "Sadayoshi," so likely ENOMOTO SADAYOSHI of the Osaka Gassan group.

Now, that would be interesting, to have a garden implement made by a revered swordsmith!
    -Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Colorado_cutter View Post
    It translates "Sadayoshi," so likely ENOMOTO SADAYOSHI of the Osaka Gassan group.
    Sorry. I think that this is a different Sadayoshi. Enomoto Sadayoshi is 榎本貞吉 so his family name 貞吉 has the same sound but has different character of the Sadayoshi above 貞義. Yoshi is a very popular pronunciation of different characters.

Great information Patatas!
    Figured out it's not a hori hori...it's a makiri, so definitely closer to a kitchen implement.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/3318931...n/photostream/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/3318931...n/photostream/
    -Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Patatas Bravas View Post
    Sorry. I think that this is a different Sadayoshi. Enomoto Sadayoshi is 榎本貞吉 so his family name 貞吉 has the same sound but has different character of the Sadayoshi above 貞義. Yoshi is a very popular pronunciation of different characters.
    Good to know! I should stick with Chinese, of which I have a little knowledge, and a little knowledge is a dangerous thing!

+ Reply to Thread