Quantcast
Can I Get a Kanji Translation on Aisle 5?
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Can I Get a Kanji Translation on Aisle 5?

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Vancouver, WA
    Posts
    14

    Can I Get a Kanji Translation on Aisle 5?

    Hey, all! My father picked up a rather old looking Hori Hori (I know, it's not a kitchen knife, but it could be used in the kitchen in an emergency), and I thought that maybe someone here might be able to help out with a kanji deciphering. Soooooo, what's it say?

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/3318931...in/photostream

    Thanks for your time and trouble.
    -Mark

  2. #2
    Senior Member cclin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    1,094
    kanji mean- "special made by 貞義"! 貞義 is knifemaker's name but I have no ideal who he is?? maybe Mari from Korin can help.....
    Charles ***[All statements I made here only my personal opinion and nothing more!]*** & Please bare with me for my crappy English!!

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Vancouver, WA
    Posts
    14
    Thanks! That gets us partway to our destination!
    -Mark

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    91
    Quote Originally Posted by cclin View Post
    kanji mean- "special made by 貞義"! 貞義 is knifemaker's name but I have no ideal who he is?? maybe Mari from Korin can help.....
    It translates "Sadayoshi," so likely ENOMOTO SADAYOSHI of the Osaka Gassan group.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Vancouver, WA
    Posts
    14
    Now, that would be interesting, to have a garden implement made by a revered swordsmith!
    -Mark

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado_cutter View Post
    It translates "Sadayoshi," so likely ENOMOTO SADAYOSHI of the Osaka Gassan group.
    Sorry. I think that this is a different Sadayoshi. Enomoto Sadayoshi is 榎本貞吉 so his family name 貞吉 has the same sound but has different character of the Sadayoshi above 貞義. Yoshi is a very popular pronunciation of different characters.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Vancouver, WA
    Posts
    14
    Great information Patatas!
    Figured out it's not a hori hori...it's a makiri, so definitely closer to a kitchen implement.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/3318931...n/photostream/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/3318931...n/photostream/
    -Mark

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    91
    Quote Originally Posted by Patatas Bravas View Post
    Sorry. I think that this is a different Sadayoshi. Enomoto Sadayoshi is 榎本貞吉 so his family name 貞吉 has the same sound but has different character of the Sadayoshi above 貞義. Yoshi is a very popular pronunciation of different characters.
    Good to know! I should stick with Chinese, of which I have a little knowledge, and a little knowledge is a dangerous thing!

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts