What Knife should I purchase?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tackle12

Reaction score
- What type of knife do you think you want?
Of course I want the ultimate knife for very little money. LOL.
I am a home cook so I am not using my knife as much as you guys are.
I am looking for a knife that is sharp and stays sharp.
I am willing to deal with the maintenance of the carbon but if there are other knifes that are just as good with less maintenance I am good with that also.
I want one good knife so I want it to cut meat and vegetables slicing and chopping.
I purchased the Zwilling Kramer carbon steel and really liked the feel, and the way it cut. I returned it after looking closer and it had the same problems described by others with the rivits popping out of the handle, the bolster had a gap between the bolster and the blade, and the flat part of the blade had an over grind between the heel and the belly. Not what I would expect from a $350 eight inch knife. The parts I liked about the ZK was the larger handle, the tall blade, and how sharp it was. I also tried the ZK damascus but the sides of the blade seemed to "drag" on the food as I cut with it. I also tried a Gyuto with a round handle (don't remember the brand) and I didn't like the feel of the round handle and how the blade is short in hight, I have larger hands and longer fingers. I know many jknives are short but it looks like some are taller. I don't have to have the hight of the ZK I know there aren't any that compare. I am willing to wait for a custom if someone makes one that is in my price range. I want the knife to look good but don't need damascus. I held the Yoshikane SLD 210 Gyuto bud didn't like the $455 price tag, also tried the Yoshikane SKD

Why is it being purchased? What, if anything, are you replacing?
- I don't care to mention the knives I am using as of now. LOL just normal junk knives. I am looking for my first good knife.

-What do you like and dislike about these qualities of your knives already?
-Aesthetics- Want it to look good but cutting performance is first on list. I like the patina on carbon steel but also like polished like stainless and damascus is beautiful.

Edge Quality/Retention- Primary want for my knife. want something sharp and something that will hold an edge for a while. But I am also a home cook so I am not using this knife all day long.

Ease of Use- I want something that will be easy to use but I don't mind maintenance. I am looking for a cutter not a looker if you know what I mean.

Comfort- up there with edge quality/retention but I won't need something like a pro chef needs for use all day long. I also prefer a heavier knife not looking for the lightest out there.

What grip do you use? I use a pinch grip, my wife uses a few different ones.

What kind of cutting motion do you use? Rock motion for vegetables and slicing for meats.

Where do you store them? Where ever you guys say I need to. I like the Saya idea for storage. I have two small kids so I can't leave in the open.

Have you ever oiled a handle? not I have not but doesn't bother me to do so.

What kind of cutting board(s) do you use? mostly wood but have plastic, but don't mind getting rid of the plastic if I need to. The last one I got was the Madeira Teak Edge-Grain Carving Board. I haven't had a chance to use it much.

For edge maintenance, do you use a strop, honing rod, pull through/other, or nothing? I used a steel honing rod in the past but understand this is not proper for higher hardness JKives. Used leather to strop after I sharpened. Don't have a real strop.

Have they ever been sharpened? I sharpen my own knives but know I am not doing this properly. I have been reading advice and seems to be getting better. I am in Phoenix AZ and see the Phoenix Knife House is not too far away so I will most likely take it to them until I get better at sharpening.

What is your budget? I would like to be under $350 but I would also like to know other options near by that.

What do you cook and how often? I cook for a family of 4 daily so I cut meat beef, poultry, and fish(cooked and uncooked), vegetables, and other "normal" at home food. Not looking to cut bones.

Special requests(Country of origin/type of wood/etc)? I like to looks of JKnives, but I also like from what I have read the functionality of a western chef's knife. I like the looks of damascus but not the price that goes with it, the patina of carbon if done correctly, the western chefs knife handle, a taller blade,

Carbon okay, tall, good edge retention....how about a Takeda?

I was thinking Kochi at Japanese Knife Imports. They seem to be taller than the norm, and edge retention is quite nice. Also, heavier than some of the thinner gyuto's, and the burnt chesnut handles are quite comfortable.

A lot of great options at the price point.

Takeda, misono swedish, hattori fh, etc

bear in mind that with hattori fh line, the knife handle differs in size from 210 to 240! in the following pic i guess the one pretty much in the middle is the 210. you can see its handle is a little smaller compared to the ones on its right.

143-hattori-fh-2.jpg

for me, the handle on the 210 fh was a little too small. i asked at JCK and the handle on the 240 is definitely bigger! beside this, i loved the fh!

I was thinking Kochi at Japanese Knife Imports. They seem to be taller than the norm, and edge retention is quite nice. Also, heavier than some of the thinner gyuto's, and the burnt chesnut handles are quite comfortable.
+1. Kochis are excellent cutters and tall. I can't even think of another knife in that price range that I'd consider. Takedas are tall, too but I haven't seen or used one I'd love to own. Masamoto KS isn't consistent in terms of grind or profile. Masamoto VG is is tall but they are very average knives, imo. I don't remember Hattoris or Misonos being tall at all.

Thank you guys so much for the info. I will be checking out all the suggestion.

how tall are you looking for?? 240mm gyuto average heel height is between 46mm~50mm. I consider heel higher than 50mm is extra wide gyuto... good looking, nice cutter, western handle, extra tall & Carbon steel..... the only one I can think is Dave Martell 240mm Gyuto- thin & nice cutting performance, 55mm extra height blade, comfortable with kill looking burl wood western handle!! Martell gyuto is cost little higher than your budget; but, Dave offer 6 Monthly Payments plan. check Here

from what i've read on here, most taller knives have a problem with stiction due to the height.

So it looks like I am limiting myself by wanting the western handle. Is the round or octagonal handle an "acquired" taste? Is it more ergonomic and natural to hold but I am not used to holding it? Does it take long to get used to the round handle? I see the Takada has an octagonal handle is this better then a round?

I have looked at Dave Martell's knife and it looks great. Is it better then Takada or others. I see he has a western handle. Anyone have Dave's knife to comment on feel, edge retention, sharpness? Thanks

Dave's knives are great. Nice balance, excellent grind, very sharp and good edge retention. They are a bit taller than some, which sounds like a good fit for you.

Marterllpolished.jpg

They develop a very nice patina if you wish. I keep trying and then polishing it off, but I just haven't learned to love patina.

Whatever knife you get, you will want to learn to keep it razor sharp. Once you get used to it, you will want it that way all the time. Learning Japanese water stone sharpening is part of the fun.

Thank you very much for the picture, love to see the details. Also thanks for the first hand experience. Looks like Dave's knife fits all my wants so far. I love it just have to see if I can adjust the budget.

Dave's knives are great. Nice balance, excellent grind, very sharp and good edge retention. They are a bit taller than some, which sounds like a good fit for you.

Marterllpolished.jpg

They develop a very nice patina if you wish. I keep trying and then polishing it off, but I just haven't learned to love patina.

Whatever knife you get, you will want to learn to keep it razor sharp. Once you get used to it, you will want it that way all the time. Learning Japanese water stone sharpening is part of the fun.

Curious what that one weighs--is it a 240?

cheers

Curious what that one weighs--is it a 240?

cheers
every Dave Martell 240mm Gyuto has different weight, depend on handle material. mine with ironwood wa-handle is 210g. western handle may heavier...
CIMG1410.jpg

from what i've read on here, most taller knives have a problem with stiction due to the height.

Usually it's from the grind. If you have a tall blade that is just straight flat it will stick. I have both bought and have used tall knives that have very little sticktation. But they are usually on the expensive side because of the grind that is used.

wow, it didn't take long to switch from an off-the-shelf knife to a dave martell knife. if i may say something, get yourself a dave martell knife. this is another league! have never seen any myself or used, but they look awesome and i like the thought of choosing the handle material...

besides, where is the point in getting yourself a cheaper japanese knife (like a hiromoto AS) and after a while having it rehandled by dave when you can have it all (= dave martell gyuto) straight away!? :biggrin:

Back