Quantcast
Sous Vide Help- Beef Tenderloin - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sous Vide Help- Beef Tenderloin

I did a Sous Vide rib roast today and it turned out great. I put it on right before I went to bed the night before which gave it around 16 hours at 135ºF. I made a crust rub out of roasted garlic, horseradish, olive oil and salt & pepper that I mixed with a stick. Roasted it in the oven for 8 minutes at 500ºF after it came out of the bath with the crust rub and turned out perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by rahimlee54 View Post
    Forgive my of post here, but what is the correct color of meat for cooking? I have never come across this information.

Thanks
    Jared
    Lighter colour for me means plenty of juice, and I like my beef strong in flavour [less water - more of it], it might be up to the where the meat comes from, is it a Holstein-ole-milkin-cow, or an Angus ?
    You could observe just that when you let your meat dry in your fridge [as the surface dries, colour changes]
    Harold McGee writes to age beef for up to three weeks. I think 2 is minimum and 4 is optimal.

Now, its not only that. Meats internal structure changes, as the post morten contraction relaxes.
    Also, as I mentioned before somewhere else, there are more than one theories about why meat tenderizes, Ive read few options. Heres the one I like[or believe] - was very well explained, but Ive read the document in polish. Its the calpains that are responsible for meat tenderizing, as they have access to substrate, and tenderizing speeds up when meat is submerged in calcium ions solution[High level of calcium ions(five times higher than in living meat, but this rise is natural post mortem process) is required to activate calpains] and is blocked by zinc chloride - a believed calpains inhibitor.

This below might explain it better - page 4

I hope its okay to post this here:

http://www.uco.es/organiza/servicios...calLuciano.pdf

Actually if you have ready portioned steaks and you dry it it helps to develop lovely crust. More Maillard - more "meaty" taste.

Thanks for the info, I always learn alot when you start typing .

You need to rest the meat before slicing.