Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rum and Bourbon.

Rum and Bourbon.

So any Rum drinkers out there?

For mixed drinks my fav rums are Havana club anejo (for with ginger or coke) or I love Appleton V/X with a little splash of apple/pear juice.

Just getting into sipping style rums, I tried the appleton 12 and its superb, very concentrated flavour.

I'd like to try more small batch bourbons, after a misspent youth where jack daniels and coke was a food group lol I'd like to try some of the proper stuff. Rum though luckily remains really under priced for what your getting (especially if you compare it to scottish single malts).

Oddly I'm an Irishman that doesen't drink whiskey lol.

Zaya 12 year old is one of my favorites. Not too bad a price either in my opinion.

I really enjoyed the Mocambo 20 yr rum this summer. It was delicious neat in a glass, that smooth and interesting.

REAL Havana Club 7 year old from Cuba, 15 year old Barbancourt from Haiti and Pampero Aniversario from Venezuela are among my favorite rums.

Pampero Aniversario. Goes down real well on its own (or with a single cube of ice in the glass to slowly mellow it out). And not so expensive that you can't use it to mix with other things...

Oddly I find the 7yr old Havana club a little sweet if mixed, nice as a sipper.

They have just replaced the Havana club barrel proof with a "selection des maestros" I really want to try. A local bar has got Ron Zacapa 23 in as well that may get a rattle..lol

Could anyone reccommend a good starting point bourbon for me? Makers Mark? Jefferson, Elijah Craig? I'd like something without huge oak/smoke, just to try something in a different style to Jack Daniels (and yes I know its not bourbon but a Tennessee whiskey!).

It's a bit like the leap from Captain Morgan to the good stuff in rum

Senior Member/ Internet Hooligan
    Bourbons are aged in charred oak casks--it's what gives them their distinct color and toxicity--so chasing a bourbon that isn't heavy on oak and smoke is like looking for a hamburger that's light on the "meaty" taste.

Stick with Irish or Scotch whiskeys.

No so. Scotch and Irish whiskeys are DOUBLE smoky. Peat smoked malt and charred barrels. If you want a "milder" bourbon, go with one of the wheated varieties like Makers Mark, Weller, Jefferson etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
    Bourbons are aged in charred oak casks--it's what gives them their distinct color and toxicity--so chasing a bourbon that isn't heavy on oak and smoke is like looking for a hamburger that's light on the "meaty" taste.

Stick with Irish or Scotch whiskeys.

all bourbons are mild. i've had a couple hundred varieties, and all are smooth as mothers milk compared to an Islay.

Senior Member/ Internet Hooligan
    Scotch, generally, reuses barrels or imports spent barrels from the United States, rather than using new and freshly charred barrels (as is done in bourbon); Irish whiskey might use bourbon casks or sherry casks or mederia casks. To say Scotch and Irish whiskey are DOUBLE smokey, compared to bourbon which--by definition--is aged in a freshly charred barrel, is an outright fallacy. The very reason bourbons are darker by and large than Scotch and Irish whiskey is because of the charred barrels.

There are a thousand words I'd use to describe Jameson, but "smokey" wouldn't make the top ten.

Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    and all are smooth as mothers milk compared to an Islay.
    What about compared to a Speyside like Glenfiddich?