Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Finally! My first Japanese knives

LOL!! They'r about SGD250 onwards here too so it's pretty ex. I'm hovering between a Honkotsu, a Wusthof boning/fillet and a victorinox.. Just love the look of the Kasumi lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Snips View Post
    one of the best feelings in the world is when your new cutlery comes and the anticipation of opening those boxes to see your new stuff inside!!
    What a feeling
    I will allways remember the pride of my first own real knife.
    Still have it though its more sujihiki now then gyuto

Dont buy Wusthoff, if you like the looks, go for Kasumi...the quality is better, the handling much better and the overall feeling is great as well imho
    It is going to be harder to sharpen it, but once you do it, :biggrin2:

Just curious...why a hankotsu over a honesuki?
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

The honkotsu's blade profile is closer to what I'm used to using i.e. a western boning knife. I don't really know how either *** knives will stand up to the rigors of a pro kitchen. The restaurant I work at requires us to do quite a bit of de-boning poultry, trimming meats like lamb racks and prime ribs etc, and also fish as well. So I pretty much would like a 1 knife fits all kinda knife.

get used to soaking your stones ore often!

Quote Originally Posted by MadMel View Post
    Yeah. They'r not really ok out of the box lol. Gotta work on them a little. Does any one have a Kasumi? Looks pretty cool lol, thinking of getting a Kasumi western boning. Any thoughts?
    I have a Kasumi boner,and I like it a lot.Has a bit of flex to the blade,nice F&F,don't think I'd pay full price for one though(got mine for less than $100.CAN).The one thing I don't like is the way the heel of the blade protrudes.P.I.T.A to sharpen.

yeah the price on a Kasumi is a real bummer... prolly get myself a victorinox lol. Don't really wanna spend a couple hundred bucks on a knife thats not gonna last me 5 years of quite intensive usage.

Nothing wrong with a Victorinox.I think Tojiro makes a nice western boning knife as well. I also have a Moritaka Honesuki and that thing is a total work horse.

I'm not saying to go with Misono, necessarily, but here's a thread that discusses the boning knife dilemma a bit more for you:
    http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...isono-Hankotsu
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by MadMel View Post
    Snips: Thanks for the input!! Any recommendations for a boning and a suji? Or prolly what are u using at work?
    for a suji, its gonna be some clarification question on what you are looking for in a slicing knife.
    -is it going to be used as an all purpose knife
    -are you looking for carbon/stainless
    -how long
    -wa or yo handle

id start with those questions and go from there. ive used a few suji's and love them. i currently do not own one but if i were to get another knife for my set, it would be a suji. im kinda mad i sold mine but dont have as much use for them nowadays. my yanagi does my slicing

as far as boning knives go, i dont use them and do not like them. i dont like as much flex in knives as bonings generally provide. i prefer a 150mm wa-petty. i currently use a 150mm grand cheff wa-petty. it has a little give for getting tenderloins out of lamb and goat (etc) but has enough toughness to cut up or de-bone a chicken. i also like the stainless quality and would use it if i had to go back to working the line (fortunately i dont have to do line work anymore). if you have to have something besides a petty i would go for a honesuki. i owned a misono honesuki and although it took quite a bit of work on the stones to get it where i was happy with the bevel, it was a fine choice. i wouldn't recommend a hankotsu because they scare me but they work for a lot of people here.

my recommendation would be not to spend a bunch of money on the boning or butchering knives because for me, they just dont last long and need to withstand damage. the only exception to that rule is a deba imo.

id be happy to answer any other questions if you have them