8K stones: recommendations?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pleue

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Looking for an 8k stone for mostly my single bevels but interested to see how most of my knives perform on the line with a more refined edge. My lineup currently is:

150 Naniwa Omura (reprofiling and repairs)
700 Bester
2000 Synthetic Blue Aoto (when really muddy feels like a 5k finish)

I've narrowed it down to a 5k suehiro or 5k Renge to try after the aoto on certain knives but am looking ahead to an 8k as well. What are your thoughts and opinions on these three stones and how they would fit? Am I missing one that I should consider?

Takenoko 8k and Arashiyama 6/7K - All seem to be the same stone based on my quick research

Kitayama 8K

Naniwa Snow White 8K

FYI my knives are the following if that helps, mix of steels:

Mac Pro 270 Gyuto
******** Fanatic AEB-L
Konosuke HD Nakiri
Sakai Masayuki 180 Deba Blue #2
Yamawaku 270 Yanagi V2 Steel
Zakuri 150 Sabaki Blue #1
Masahiro 270 Suji VC
Sabatier Nogent Paring

I'm impressed with the array of steel. Though I have not used the 8k, I would highly recommend adding the Gesshin line to your choices. All perform exceptionally well.

I finish yanagiba on the kitiyama. Keep in mind it's grit range can be from 8-12k actually. Just work in the mud a little bit and it further refines itself a bit. Very nice.

In the higher grits whetstones in general get better,Kitayama is good for carbon single bevels,the Gesshin white 8K is my favorite polishing stone.

I've been using the Kitayama for about a year and I really like it.

Dave

Just about any 8k would be fine on all of those steels and after using highly refined edges for a long time, I've decided 8k isn't generally worth it. When I do use an 8k or better, I will use an Awasedo, a coticule or occasionally the Kitayama when I want a bit of a brighter finish or a more aggressive stone.

the Kitayama and the Gesshin 8k are both very good stones. i prefer the Gesshin a bit, as it's faster working. i use the Gesshin 8k following a Chosera 1k.

the Kitayama and the Gesshin 8k are both very good stones. i prefer the Gesshin a bit, as it's faster working. i use the Gesshin 8k following a Chosera 1k.
I thought you really liked the Awasedo.

i really like my kitayama 8k. but people seem really impressed with the gesshin line in general these days.

+1 on the kitiyama. Dave has a good write up on the stone. Worth reading before you buy it.

Thanks for all the info! I think I'm gonna get the kitayama, found a lightly used one i think I can get locally for $40. I think I'll complete a set of natural feeling synthetics (natural particles?) with varying range of grit/finish omura -> aoto -> renge suita -> kitayama with the bester thrown in there between the omura and aoto to make the work time on the aoto a bit faster. That seem like a good setup. Should give a misty finish with a slight mirror from the kitayama with a good refined bite?

Back