Hi, Nzer number 3

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaneg

Reaction score
Hey, been trawling this place for a few weeks, and thought id say hello, i see there are 2 other people from nz here already.

Im a chef and have worked in numerous restaurants, hotel/resorts.
Started in 2000, mostly used Wusthofs at the start until i bought a Global gf33 in 02 and have been mainly into j knives, usually mid to low range quality as i just sharpened until it was useless then binned them, been through quite a few brands that way, German and J.
Most chefs ive worked with have had pretty mediocre knowledge regarding knives considering they are in our hands 95% of our day.

Currently im sous of one of the top ten restaurants in the city, its a Thai restaurant 65 seater, but do around 160-200 a night, very busy so lots of fine julienne ginger, chilli, lemongrass and kaffir lime leaf (hair thin), so a really sharp knife is key, kai wasabi santoku is my beater knife, not a flash knife but gets wicked sharp, along with my zwilling Chinese cleaver, gave my shun chef knife away to a junior as his got stolen from his car plus i wasnt a fan as i found it had no feeling/feedback when cutting. We use the kiwis knives for a bit of fun sometimes.

Im waiting on a konosuke 210 gyuto and a cck cleaver to arrive in the post to add to my collection, have an ok range, but only within the last few years been really interested in knives and sharpening, a lot of chefs think its weird i have 7 different grit stones and no steel.

About to head up a new 100 seater restaurant in march that my boss and current head chef are opening, Chinese style menu, will post some kitchen pics when built.

Also have worked as a personal chef, Larry Page being my most high profile client, pretty fun job.

Last edited:
welcome, can't wait to see were you end up going next with your knives.

Hey Quantum i see you have a few cleavers.. Am looking for one at the mo, there is a site chefsmall.net that has all the cck range. Was after one for all chopping but that could also do chicken bones and maybe small beef bones (ribs). What one do i get?

Thanks everyone, I'll be sure to put the menu up when its finalised, but for now heres some pics of the food we are doing now.
(jimbob im from dunners also, small world)

Organic Oysters with Chilli Jam, corriander, ginger and peanut(left) crab claw, mint and szechuan(right)
334966_289218344437469_1710501354_o.jpg

Braised beef short-rib with roast birds eye chilli nahm Jim, corriander, mint and lime leaf salad, in winter it comes with red curry and roast peanut sauce
moochowchow_opening2.jpg

Soft boiled and fried duck egg with chilling jam, ginger, lemongrass and roast chilling nahm Jim
468683_512528812106420_502672086_o.jpg

Caramelised pork hock with chilling vinegar and pickled cucumber
240484_226012890758015_7736901_o.jpg

Slow braised pork belly with banana prawns in a yellow curry
330243_520411154651519_1302012187_o.jpg

wow I'm jealous your photography skills are amazing, makes me want to buy a camera. Ohya, food looks soooo good too. Welcome and keep up the food pics.

Its in Auckland, Ponsonby..
I left dunedin in 01, when i was 19, mostly been in Auckland since.. with summer stints in Queenstown doing my personal chef work.

Back