Thread: Total Beginner / Noob

Question Total Beginner / Noob

What type of knife(s) do you think you want? Shun Santoku

Why is it being purchased? What, if anything, are you replacing? It would be a start to my first better knife set, but it would be replacing cheap throw away knives that ive collected over the years

What do you like and dislike about these qualities of your knives already?
    Aesthetics-
    Edge Quality/Retention-
    Ease of Use-
    Comfort-

What grip do you use? Grip? I've been playing with the pinch grip but haven't mastered anything

What kind of cutting motion do you use? chopping/rocking

Where do you store them? mag bar

Have you ever oiled a handle? nope

What kind of cutting board(s) do you use? Birch

For edge maintenance, do you use a strop, honing rod, pull through/other, or nothing? yup, cheap knives, so nothing

Have they ever been sharpened? ....should they have been?

What is your budget? 120-180

What do you cook and how often? I cook every night at home, but don't use knives for work

Special requests(Country of origin/type of wood/etc)? I would like to stick with the Santoku style as its going to be my only good knife for 6 months to a year, gonna build a set slowly but surely. Oh and I dislike how Global knifes feels in my hand, whereas the Shun is quite comfortable with its extremely oddly shaped handle.

Welcome aboard. Are u totally sold on Shun? on a Santoku? There are better knives for the money and a gyuto can do more for you. Of course u have to be happy and comfortable with the knife. Also on a long term thought, think about how u want to sharpen the knife u do get

I am not totally sold on shuns, no. I'll be honest I'm lazy and dont want a high maintenance knife.

I agree with Mingooch. Someone cannot buy a knife and not have a strategy for how to sharpen this new knive in the future.

In the long run, sharpening skills are always more important than the knife. A so-so knife and a ChefsChoice electric sharpener is better than a dull Kramer.

sharpener aside, I know how to use whetstones and have in the past used them on hunting knives.

welcome
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

Well for my first knife the crew here suggested a carbonext 240mm gyuto, great blade, middle of your budget, less maintenance than a carbon and I've been happy with it.

As for Shun, i was initially looking that way too, their handles were nice but their steels can be finicky in that they can be brittle and chip more easily than some.

Here's the link to the JCK Carbonext:

http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/KA...extSeries.html

Welcome to the forums too, it's a great group here.

Spokane, WA aka Spokanistan, or Spoklahoma, or...
    welcome and merry christmas!

Welcome to the Knut House! Give the advice that you get here some serious consideration, these guys have been around this block more than once!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig