Kochi and Gesshin Ginga

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
One of my fellow sous is thinking about picking up either the ginga w2 gyuto or the Kochi gyuto. I haven't used either but I imagine he can't go wrong. Does anyone have any insight into these?

The Ginga is similar to a host of other laser types: thin, cuts very well, profile has some curve but not as much as a TKC, for example. It's a very nice knife. The Kochi is taller and crazy thin near the edge but a more substantial forged knife. It's a great cutter. The tip will be a bit less pointed. Both sharpen up very easily but in my hands, the Kochi held it's edge noticeably longer (kuro uchi in V2).

the Kochi is a fairly heavy knife, which is something to consider, but it sure is a great cutter. the Gengetsu is another knife he should consider.

love my GG, fit and finish is outstanding and the blade speaks for itself.

I had the v2 kochi and it was a fantastic cutter...I've not used the GG, but I believe it weighs about half of the Kochi. Should include that the Kochi is clad while the GG is monosteel white 2 or ss.

My kochi in v2 is one of the best cutters I've ever had. Very thin behind the edge, the v2 falls between a white and blue steel as far as edge retention and man does it sharpen up nice :)
+1 kochi

All I can tell you is that I dislike the Ginga. I had a chance to check it on Maksims gathering the other year and even though I could cut with it, I just skipped it.

It feels cheap.

The Kochi gyuto (kiritsuke profile) I tried in the pass-around was a good cutter but not at all what could be described as real thin behind the edge.

The Kochi gyuto (kiritsuke profile) I tried in the pass-around was a good cutter but not at all what could be described as real thin behind the edge.

One of the downfalls of passarounds, sadly.
I'd vote for the kochi.

Don't think the knife had seen much use or sharpening before I got to see it... regardless, nicely made.

the kiritsuke shaped one and regular one are different beasts

Good to know.

Thanks Jon for carrying this line !

Back