Searching for a reasonable addition to my knifes + sharpening question

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohrschlurch

Reaction score
Hello!
I am a hobby chef, so I only cook at home. As I am sick of working with cheap knives of mediocre quality, I recently purchased two knifes that have a better quality/price ratio: A 24 cm Tojiro DP Gyuto (F-809) & a 12 cm Tojiro DP Petty Knife (F-801). I am very very satisfied with them, so I am looking to buy some more Torijo knifes from this collection.

At the moment the Gyuto is used for nearly everything: Cutting vegetables & meat (I don't eat fish that often). The petty knife is mostly used for cutting garlic, small onions or sometimes to trim some fat from a steak.
I am looking for some good additions to these two knifes, although I don't really know what to buy. Just a few days ago I noticed that I really don't have a knife that is good for removing the stem from tomatoes, so maybe I should get a 7 cm Peeling Knife (F-799) for that?
Also removing the seed of an Avocado is tough as I am afraid the blade will chip if I hack into the seed. That leaves me thinking that I need something more robust - Nakiri, Santoku, Deba?

Plus can anyone recommend a knife for dividing a chicken? I mean not cutting through bones, but getting the single parts & filleting?

And I have another question: At the moment I don't have anything to sharpen the knifes. Often you read that you should use a sharpening steel also with Japanese knifes, but the product information that came with it says not to use one. What should I do?
I also hesitate to buy a wet stone for sharpening. I know this needs to be done, but I am really afraid to ruin the knifes. I know there are tools to help you to keep the right angel, but I don't know - should I just try it?

I would really appreciate any replies as I am a newbie when it comes to good knifes and as you can see, many things leave the puzzled.

Cheers & Merry Christmas!

I use gyutos for all the tasks mentioned.

Buy a King 1000 stone, watch Jon Broida's sharpening videos on YouTube, and practice on your old knives.

Greetings!

+1 to what Edipis said...sage advice.

Welcome to KKF, and Happy Holidays!

You're on the right track for adding knives when you identify a task that you can't do well with the knives you have. The bird's beak paring knife you mention is usually used for tourné cutting, but I'd imagine it could also be used to take out a stem on a tomato. Your gyuto is perfectly suitable for removing the seed from an avocado, it's just a matter of technique. Here's a video of how to do it. Just be careful getting the seed off the blade. I've found the safest way is to take your thumb and forefinger over the spine of the knife and pinch it off.

[video=youtube;eGd6GfHG77I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGd6GfHG77I[/video]

The most recommended knife for breaking down a chicken is a honesuki, though many people find that a petty works just as well.

As for sharpening, stay away from steels and rods, and invest in a set of waterstones. To get started, you'll need a medium stone, a fine stone and something to flatten them on. The most "bang for the buck" stones are the Bester 1200 (medium) and the Suehiro Rika 5000 (fine). If you can afford it, get an Atoma 140 diamond plate to flatten your stones, though you can do just fine with 220 wet/dry sandpaper and a flat surface like a 12"x12" ceramic tile or sheet of glass. There are many excellent videos on sharpening available on the Japanese Knife Import's YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/JKnifeImports?feature=mhsn#g/u

Again, welcome to KKF, and don't hesitate to ask questions. There are plenty of people here who just love to give advice.

Rick

you may needs a Pairing Knife & bread knife..all other tasks could be done with gyuto.

I think new sharpeners worry too much about ruining their knives learning to hone an edge. You may scratch up the surface a bit and it may not be as sharp as you would like at first but it is really hard to totally destroy a knife that way. Practice make perfect. It really isn't rocket science.

No bread knife... :D

I just cooked, or rather, prepped and carved our entire Christmas mea (rib roast, etc)l, here at work, with my Marr petty. It's a matter of technique, and learning the limitations of your knives. I've learned to do things with pettys that many would consider beyond their limitations. But, it all comes down to using the length needed (or that the knife will allow), and knowing where your edge/tip are located. The same goes for a gyuto.

And with that, welcome! :D

Here is the channel for Japanese Knife Imports (Jon + Sarah Broida) on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/feed/UCpgJbCAVxzDHKaKYeuGYyOA

Also, here is an excellent video from Eamon Burke of Burke Cutlery on avocados...he uses IMNSHO the best technique for this that I've seen, and he's a member of the forum.

[video=youtube;yXXb-KdKI_U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXXb-KdKI_U[/video]

Welcome to the forum, you're in the right place!

Welcome.

Tojiros are decent knives for the price.

Imho, if you have a knife with 12cm blade, it could do as your peeling knife. Just follow your instinct.
For example i bake bread and I love fresh bread[up to a point where I eat it with all including potatoes] and none of my regular knives could take a sourdough crust - thats why I have Forschner bread knife.
So if your on budget, which is totally OK, just buy cheap bread knife and your set is ready

I use gyutos for all the tasks mentioned.

Buy a King 1000 stone, watch Jon Broida's sharpening videos on YouTube, and practice on your old knives.

+1

You can then strop on newspaper to get a very nice edge. I don't understand why it works, but I do it often and it works astonishingly well. And it is cheap! Just a 1000 grit stone and newspaper.

You can then strop on newspaper to get a very nice edge. I don't understand why it works, but I do it often and it works astonishingly well. And it is cheap! Just a 1000 grit stone and newspaper.

Yep, works well also in my experience, maybe something to do with natural abrasiveness of printed ink on paper? It's also the best way to clean a mirror: a couple sprays of any detergent and then wipe/dry with a newspaper page made into a ball... Go figure...

It's an abrasive in the black ink, if I recall correctly...I think it's .25 microns, but I could be mistaken.

But yes.

It's also the best way to clean a mirror: a couple sprays of any detergent and then wipe/dry with a newspaper page made into a ball... Go figure...

Vinegar + newsprint is an unbeatable combo for cleaning glass...it takes a bit of practice to get right though.

Wow thanks for your help guys!

I will order the wet stone recommended, a Tojiro DP 7 cm Pairing knife and the Tojiro DP Honesuki, probably 17 cm. A bread knife is also planned, but at the moment my cheap one does just fine.

The YouTube channel posted here is also great, thanks for that.

Cheers

Back