Quantcast
School me on strops. - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: School me on strops.

I remember being a little surprised while reading about Marko Tsourkan's knives that people were having quite good results stropping his blades on felt to bring back and maintain the edge to close to 100% sharpness.
    I guess I was under the impression that the general consensus was that felt is best used as a deburring tool, and leather or balsa is better for refining or polishing your edge? Or are their too many variables to make such generalizations? Maybe you just have to experiment a lot to match a particular blade/steel to a particular type of strop/compound until you find what works depending on what you're trying to accomplish.

When doing a full stone session I end up stropping on newspaper "a la Carter". When inbetween sessions I strop on a dry king 6k. When the 6k becomes "glassy" as a result, I just recondition the surface by flattening it.

I deburr on 5 micron diamond on leather and when I sharpen I finish on 0.5 cro on felt, in work I use a leather strop. I like felt a lot, I'd take my felt strop into work but it's too big

Quote Originally Posted by stevenStefano View Post
    I deburr on 5 micron diamond on leather and when I sharpen I finish on 0.5 cro on felt, in work I use a leather strop. I like felt a lot, I'd take my felt strop into work but it's too big
    What qualities do you feel the felt brings to your edge that you prefer over the leather?

I think the felt takes compounds a little better than leather. The felt seems to stay level and flat more than the leather I use

Quote Originally Posted by stevenStefano View Post
    I think the felt takes compounds a little better than leather. The felt seems to stay level and flat more than the leather I use
    Thanks for the info.

For yrs. I deburred on the stone wt. lite touch,had never used a strop.Even J-Yanagi's a very lite draw stroke across the stone is how I was taught by Japanese Sushi Chefs.I feel that some of the sharpest edges come fr.quality carbon steel on a polishing stone.

Now I have a homemade 16"x3.5" cowhide strop,Hand American felt pad & Horsehide leather.I almost always use the cowhide to polish up the edges when I sharpen others knives.

If you get edges meeting to molecular infinity on a polishing stone,you want to use good tech going to a strop, pressing too hard into the leather can slightly round you sharp edge,also rolling the blade off the strop at end of stroke.

You can strop on a polishing stone too like Murry Carter