In search for new deba

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bieniek

Banned
Reaction score
Im not sure how to put all that. I am totally obsessed by "sharper!" would be the best way to explain...

So Ive been using Yoshihiro - or name it Gesshin Uraku if you will, and Mitsuhide debas for quite a while now.
Especially the bigger one got some abuse. I think I did around ton of fish up to now with the knife.

I am very happy with them both, but they are both for sale now. The reason is, I just feel like its not enough. The sharpness is not enough.
I want better "tasting" edge.

I know I could buy Hide, I had a chance to try one. Its much better then Yoshihiro [no wonder] but is honyaki a way to go for me?

Chipping is not a problem for me, I can learn and adapt, if necessary.
The looks aint important.

Of course would not want to spend super heavy load of cash on it, cause hey Im just a commis chef and I dont use it everyday [dont work sushi] but I want something with super scary edge.

Teruyasu Fujiwara? Is those really forged using stainless ?

I understand the search for "Sharper". So I will be standing by watching what is posted. Schanop looks like has some good looking stuff there.

I have no real way to compare with a deba just because I have never held one.

I just use a Sakai Takayuki white 2 Deba, and have never felt the need for a 'sharper' deba. It can do a few hundred pounds of salmon between sharpenings, sharp, holds a good edge, and cheap, I like my Takayuki, just saying, might be a good cheap option. Got mine local, so I have no idea where you would get one, JCK doesn't carry them, so maybe I would suggest a Mizuno. My friend at work has a nice Suisin IH, it's alot nicer than mine and does the business. They cost alot more, but it shows in their finish that's for sure.

Just to name some theoretical possibilities of deba that probably has higher HRC heat treated. I think you know your game well.

- Yoshihiro has a blue #1 deba, as well as non-mirror finish (cheaper) honyaki for sale.
- Hide white #1 here, if that is not a mis printed, and the usual cool blue #1.
- Jon's new Kochi http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/kitchen-knives-by-type/deba/kochi-195mm-kurouchi-deba.html
- A Shig
- Mizuno blue #1
- And Fujiwara white #1 looks decent too

Cheers ;)

I thought to look for some more exotic but still good brands. Hence the Fujiwara, but the stainless cladding?!?!
Im a little afraid of the budget honyakis...

Cookinstuff, it aint about the need for sharpness, its about the sharpness.
I dont want to sound like the pricier are better, indeed the cheapest masamoto still have me impressed.
And the Yoshihiro can get the job well done. How its getting done is the question.

Just noticed that cladding on Fujiwara's back side looks a bit different to other kasumi debas. Pic from EE:

87893_3_b.jpg

Not sure how core steel is shaped. Is it just at the very edge?

Yoshikane and Heiji probably can be on your list too. And if you want to get back to old school Masa KS, I have a briefly used 195mm one in BST.

I've been using the Takeda deba and it can handle whatever gets thrown at it... Its awesome on fish, and does an amazing job on chicken. Mirepoix? Yes. Its heftier than most of my cleavers, holds a lazer edge, and Im sure I could take down a couple trees with it before a quick touch up to do a couple more. Just sayin'.

I've been using the Takeda deba and it can handle whatever gets thrown at it... Its awesome on fish, and does an amazing job on chicken. Mirepoix? Yes. Its heftier than most of my cleavers, holds a lazer edge, and Im sure I could take down a couple trees with it before a quick touch up to do a couple more. Just sayin'.

Isn't that a yo-deba? I thought most Takeda were double beveled.

Isn't that a yo-deba? I thought most Takeda were double beveled.

You are correct sir, MOST Takedas are double beveled, as mine is. Now, this means that there are single beveled ones as well if the OP wants to go that route.
What I was more of less referring to on this post is the OPs first post on "scary sharp"ness. YMMV, but I totally dig the non-traditional Takeda deba. I am not a traditionalist, but I have been fishing since I was a wee-lad, and when you have the feel for it, you can break down that salmon with a large pocket knife better than most restaurant folk can with a fillet knife or deba. All I was saying is that for me, without having a single bevel deba, or ever trying one, and with having the double bevel Takeda, its what I have experience with. Have you ever tried this knife?

Just noticed that cladding on Fujiwara's back side looks a bit different to other kasumi debas. Pic from EE:

87893_3_b.jpg

Not sure how core steel is shaped. Is it just at the very edge?

Yoshikane and Heiji probably can be on your list too. And if you want to get back to old school Masa KS, I have a briefly used 195mm one in BST.

Yeah this is what I as reffering to. Also in description it stands its cladded with stainless. Can that be sanmai????

Ive seen your Masamoto there, almost took it, but first things first. I hav to sell the two I have first....Yaya I say this but I JUST COULDNT pass on that deal off ebay:

As Magnus mentioned, Ive got super deal on super steel :D:D Thanks man!

KGrHqFpcE9eNM3fpbBPiIIfvPw60_57_zpsc5e46791.jpg

But anyway if you still have it when I finally sell mine, I shall contact you ;)

I've been using the Takeda deba and it can handle whatever gets thrown at it... Its awesome on fish, and does an amazing job on chicken. Mirepoix? Yes. Its heftier than most of my cleavers, holds a lazer edge, and Im sure I could take down a couple trees with it before a quick touch up to do a couple more. Just sayin'

Cheers
Deba double bevel just doesnt seem right to me...
Tell me guys, am I the only crazy-arse here that would say such blasphemy - Im not too fond of AS...
But would love to see pic of takeda single bevel deba anyway :yammer:

Actually Masamotos has one of the best tasting edges I ever tasted... Wat a simple solution!

Anyone ever tried masamoto blue steel?

You are correct sir, MOST Takedas are double beveled, as mine is. Now, this means that there are single beveled ones as well if the OP wants to go that route.
What I was more of less referring to on this post is the OPs first post on "scary sharp"ness. YMMV, but I totally dig the non-traditional Takeda deba. I am not a traditionalist, but I have been fishing since I was a wee-lad, and when you have the feel for it, you can break down that salmon with a large pocket knife better than most restaurant folk can with a fillet knife or deba. All I was saying is that for me, without having a single bevel deba, or ever trying one, and with having the double bevel Takeda, its what I have experience with. Have you ever tried this knife?

Haven't used a Takeda yo-deba to break down fish but I have used a tojiro yodeba and it wasn't the greatest. It can work but it's a totally different experience than using a single bevel. I highly recommend it, maybe buy like a cheap 180 tanaka or something to give it a shot.

What about a Suisin or Nenohi? Have you thought about them.

Is that masamoto a 240 mioroshi? where did you find that knife? never seen it carried anywhere, looks nice.

The vintage is of no interest for me.

Would like to see some more selection of Suisin and Nenohi.

Cookinstuff, the Mioroshi is 225, comes from eay, it was there for last 3 months or more, but thanks to Mr.Magnus I could strike amazing deal.

Back