Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wusthof Classic and Petec edge

Wusthof Classic and Petec edge

It's my understanding that all the Wusthof blades are now being manufactured with the Petec edge. I just got a new Wusthof Classic cook's knife and a paring knife. How can I tell if it has the petec edge? I just bought it, but who knows how long it's been on the shelf. I want to make sure what the angle is so I can sharpen it properly. Also, if it's not the Petec, is it possible to turn it into one?

Thanks!

As far as I've been able to find out, PEtec is nothing more than Wüsthof changing the edge angle on their knives from ~19 to ~14 degrees. So, whether your new knives have the PEtec edge or not, just sharpen them to ~14 degrees and you should have a "PEtec" edge.

Welcome porkbelly.
    I did a little research on this Wusthof "Petec" here: http://www.leadingedgeknives.com/petec.html
    According to the website, it looks like Wusthof went from a convex edge to a flat ground edge with a more acute angle.
    I guess they switched to a cheaper grinding operation that also works better with the pull-through electric sharpeners popular with home cooks these days.
    Personally, I would rather learn how to properly sharpen the stronger convex edge, especially considering a Wusthof's soft steel.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Doesn't Wusty harden to 58 now?
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by NO ChoP! View Post
    Doesn't Wusty harden to 58 now?
    They are close to if not at 60 now

Quote Originally Posted by pumbaa View Post
    They are close to if not at 60 now
    That's the first I hear of this. Where'd you get this info?

We just got a handful of replacement knives from Wusthof for the school kitchen. They're as soft as they ever were. If I were to make an educated guess, they're probably 55-56ish. They're doing their Ikon line a bit harder at 58.

Quote Originally Posted by ecchef View Post
    Welcome porkbelly.
    I did a little research on this Wusthof "Petec" here: http://www.leadingedgeknives.com/petec.html
    According to the website, it looks like Wusthof went from a convex edge to a flat ground edge with a more acute angle.
    I guess they switched to a cheaper grinding operation that also works better with the pull-through electric sharpeners popular with home cooks these days.
    Personally, I would rather learn how to properly sharpen the stronger convex edge, especially considering a Wusthof's soft steel.
    So is there an easy way to tell which edge I've got? It doesn't have "Petec" labeled anywhere, but I don't know that they would.

Really it doesn't matter what edge the factory put on it. Just sharpen it however you want.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Quote Originally Posted by ThEoRy View Post
    Really it doesn't matter what edge the factory put on it. Just sharpen it however you want.
    +1.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter