Wusthof Classic and Petec edge

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

porkbelly

Reaction score
It's my understanding that all the Wusthof blades are now being manufactured with the Petec edge. I just got a new Wusthof Classic cook's knife and a paring knife. How can I tell if it has the petec edge? I just bought it, but who knows how long it's been on the shelf. I want to make sure what the angle is so I can sharpen it properly. Also, if it's not the Petec, is it possible to turn it into one?

Thanks!

As far as I've been able to find out, PEtec is nothing more than Wüsthof changing the edge angle on their knives from ~19 to ~14 degrees. So, whether your new knives have the PEtec edge or not, just sharpen them to ~14 degrees and you should have a "PEtec" edge.

PEtec2.jpg

Welcome porkbelly.
I did a little research on this Wusthof "Petec" here: http://www.leadingedgeknives.com/petec.html
According to the website, it looks like Wusthof went from a convex edge to a flat ground edge with a more acute angle.
I guess they switched to a cheaper grinding operation that also works better with the pull-through electric sharpeners popular with home cooks these days.
Personally, I would rather learn how to properly sharpen the stronger convex edge, especially considering a Wusthof's soft steel.

We just got a handful of replacement knives from Wusthof for the school kitchen. They're as soft as they ever were. If I were to make an educated guess, they're probably 55-56ish. They're doing their Ikon line a bit harder at 58.

Welcome porkbelly.
I did a little research on this Wusthof "Petec" here: http://www.leadingedgeknives.com/petec.html
According to the website, it looks like Wusthof went from a convex edge to a flat ground edge with a more acute angle.
I guess they switched to a cheaper grinding operation that also works better with the pull-through electric sharpeners popular with home cooks these days.
Personally, I would rather learn how to properly sharpen the stronger convex edge, especially considering a Wusthof's soft steel.

So is there an easy way to tell which edge I've got? It doesn't have "Petec" labeled anywhere, but I don't know that they would.

Really it doesn't matter what edge the factory put on it. Just sharpen it however you want.

That's the first I hear of this. Where'd you get this info?
Maybe on here its the smame steel in all knives so whatever the ikon is it should be the same.
The lower end is still really soft though

Latest posts

Back