Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: ceramic rod bad rap

Personally I find I keep more consistent angles on stones--maybe because of having more surface contact area. I think most people tend not to use a steel (rod) properly.
    once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Most of the guys in my kitchen use steels in a very sloppy quick style, reminiscent of what we've all seen on TV. I use very soft deliberate strokes, and keep focused on my angle....works well for me.

Definitely not a fresh from the stone edge, but gets it to 90% I'd say...
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by NO ChoP! View Post
    Most of the guys in my kitchen use steels in a very sloppy quick style, reminiscent of what we've all seen on TV. I use very soft deliberate strokes, and keep focused on my angle....l.
    most chefs ive seen use something horribly similar to this.. http://m.videojug.com/film/sharpenin...e-with-a-steel which i cringe at, if they are going to do that i usually suggest to them putting their thumb on the other side next to their finger on the steel as ive seen someone cut into their knuckle.

if i steel i hold mine vertically and pointing down, either onto the board or standing back from the bench, and not too fast or not too slow but at a speed where i can keep the same angle, i try and keep it as flat as possible, roughly 16°

Whats Everyones steel method?

I lay it down because that's where I can recognize the angle...like putting it on a stone, angle depends on the knife. I prefer a stone or strop though for American and J-knives and usually only steel my French carbons and German stainless.
    once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

i dont use a rod anymore but when i did i had the mac rod. i definitely rested the tip on the table and used slow even strokes. not violent, lightning fast, "gordon ramsay" strokes! check out his youtube vid, its pretty comical.

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    I bought a Ruby rod, here recently. It seems quite smooth, but it does cut more steel off than I am accustomed to. Pretty much I use it now for stropping very lightly, if at all. If I go to much on it I can see with a naked eye a wire edge forming really fast.
    Chewie's the man.

I just don't think any sort of rod is necessary with the kind of knives many of us have. Not only that, but part of owning these knives is maintaining them on the stones and getting the most out of them...the way they are intended to be used.

Quote Originally Posted by WiscoNole View Post
    I just don't think any sort of rod is necessary with the kind of knives many of us have. Not only that, but part of owning these knives is maintaining them on the stones and getting the most out of them...the way they are intended to be used.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by WiscoNole View Post
    I fully admit to times when I don't maintain my knives as I should. Family, illness, work and other life circumstances often arise. If during these times I can't sharpen, then I strop. If stropping doesn't do it, I use the borosilicate hone. If that doesn't work, I use my ceramic 1200 grit idahnone. When life and knives catch up again -- I hit the stones and make things good again.

k.
    "What happened to those other underpants you had?" -- Flight of the Conchords

I can understand that, but at the same time, I can raise a burr and put a good edge on just about any carbon knife with a Gesshin 2k in literally 2-3 minutes.