Your Dream (Home) Kitchen

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Not that I am trying to improve my current kitchen, but I am angling to move to either Portland ME or Minneapolis in the next couple of years. Anyhow, I have started the mental process of creating my kick-a&& kitchen of the future.

First on my list would be a National Combi Oven.

Sure, it is 10k. But the 61 model avoids a lot of infrastructure tweaks that are necessary for the bigger commercial models and would be unrealistic for the home.

What's on your home kitchen wish list?

k.

Rational SCC WE 61.jpg

I really only desire a pro slicer at the moment. That could change in an instant. I stilll have a few years left in the military (read: moving) before I get serious. I used one of those in the kitchen I worked in years ago, what is your desire with it? I.e. what are you going to make?

I like the versatility in that it can reduce other gadgets, for instance it has a sous vide setup. Also with setting the humidity you can steam food on one end and dehydrate on another. And the programability with some models is intriguing.

My other desire is a double set of drawer dish washers.

Edit: I meant Rational and not National in the OP.

k.

fisher-paykel-dishwasher-dr.jpg

We have one of that exact Rational Combi Oven in work. We also have a much larger older one and the newer one is lightyears ahead of it. Much much quieter and faster, everything is so much better. Pretty cool how you can have different things cooking their own program on each shelf

we investigated the "dishwasher drawers" a few years ago when we remodeled the kitchen. Decided against it...they are really cool, but at the end of the day, even with only the 2 of us, we have plenty of volume for a standard size and it was MUCH cheaper.

I think I made one big mistake in my remodel: getting a Dacor "Pro Style" 6-burner cooktop. It's a fine unit, quite comparable to the competitive products from wolf, thermidor, etc. I would now get a true commercial unit from the local restaurant supply joint. two main reasons: MUCH easier to keep clean, and better heat output.

Would have also liked a commercial venting system, but that is truly impractical in my kitchen...I make do with my 1500CFM island hood pretty well though.

We were discouraged from going w/ the double drawer dishwashers when we redid our kitchen last year. Not that much water/ energy savings, and they tend to leak a lot (according to some applicance repairmen and plumbers).

I'm digging that pasta press -- I have not seen a manual press like that before. All I ever see are cheap, crappy electric ones, or big $$$$ commercial ones. I think a press like that is now on my kitchen wish list -- thanks for showing that!

I want a deck oven with steam injection, a proofer and a rack washer. Why the hell does it take 70-90 minutes to wash dishes at home but I can do it in 3 at work?

Also, I'm tired of refrigerators and a cupboard. I want a walk-in and a dry storage room. Would also like an equipment room.

-AJ

If I was was going to remodel, and if it wasn't so ugly/massive/noisy, I'd have a commercial dish washer, like an AM-14 or something. Run anything through it and 90 seconds later...clean & sanitized!

I have an ad I cut out of a kitchen that was finished in dark wood but the walls where all bookshelves. I LOVE that picture and plan to add a shelving system like it when we get our own place.

Wish I could find that pic on line...

Aga.........the kind that also heats your hot water for your house. Oh, and a farmhouse in someplace like France or Belgium built around it. Next question.:lol2:

First on my list would be a National Combi Oven.

Sure, it is 10k. But the 61 model avoids a lot of infrastructure tweaks that are necessary for the bigger commercial models and would be unrealistic for the home.k.

It does still require 240v 3 phase to run though. Could be an issue. And it STARTS at $10,800. Plenty of options to get it close to $15k easily.

Also, what does the optional ethernet port let you do? Software/firmware updates? Sounds cool. Also curious about the "marine" and "prison" options.

If I was was going to remodel, and if it wasn't so ugly/massive/noisy, I'd have a commercial dish washer, like an AM-14 or something. Run anything through it and 90 seconds later...clean & sanitized!

As a former dishwasher, I agree and have always wanted that.

We were discouraged from going w/ the double drawer dishwashers when we redid our kitchen last year. Not that much water/ energy savings, and they tend to leak a lot (according to some applicance repairmen and plumbers).

I'm digging that pasta press -- I have not seen a manual press like that before. All I ever see are cheap, crappy electric ones, or big $$$$ commercial ones. I think a press like that is now on my kitchen wish list -- thanks for showing that!

With the dish drawer thing, I think I would still like to to give them a shot when the time comes if they are good products. I just really love the idea of running half/small loads. I think it comes for my dishwashing days -- get'em in, get'em out. Maybe a full size and one drawer would be good ;)

I have an ad I cut out of a kitchen that was finished in dark wood but the walls where all bookshelves. I LOVE that picture and plan to add a shelving system like it when we get our own place.

Wish I could find that pic on line...

And the bookshelf idea just sounds AMAZING. That is on my list now too.

k.

Obviously, it is unrealistic but I would love a restaurant grade fryer in my kitchen so I could easily whip up batches of my favorite fried chicken (Thomas Keller).

It does still require 240v 3 phase to run though. Could be an issue. And it STARTS at $10,800. Plenty of options to get it close to $15k easily.

Also, what does the optional ethernet port let you do? Software/firmware updates? Sounds cool. Also curious about the "marine" and "prison" options.

There is a single phase 61 from what I understand. Maybe not the one I linked to, but I think the electric version (not gas) is single phase.

k.

I want a deck oven with steam injection, a proofer and a rack washer. Why the hell does it take 70-90 minutes to wash dishes at home but I can do it in 3 at work?

Also, I'm tired of refrigerators and a cupboard. I want a walk-in and a dry storage room. Would also like an equipment room.

-AJ

Yeah, you read my mind. Except that I would like this in a large cottage on a pig and inchelium garlic farm.

How big is your kitchen :D ?

all i want is a gas stove and more storage :D

The more sh!t you have the more sh!t you have to take care of. Pro kitchens are about utility.

Things I like best in my remodel are self-close drawers, soft close cabinet doors, pot filler, lots of well placed outlets and a functional small appliance "garage". Also like the dispose-all air switch, huge sink and good lighting. Lots of counter space let me and the missus cook together without violence.

Wish I had a vacuum sealer, an extra dishwasher, another sink, a salamander, a wall double oven and a 48" cook top. A walk-in would be terrific! Also a computer station or flat screen to check out instructional videos and recipes on the fly.

Induction is easier to clean and gives the same high heat and versatility as gas, at least for me. Someone makes an induction range top that lets you move pots and pans all over and remembers what the temp should be.

I like your pasta station with the overhang.

Funny. My dream kitchen would NOT have an island. Currently have one now and I HATE constantly walking around it.

-AJ

Things I like best in my remodel are self-close drawers, soft close cabinet doors, pot filler, lots of well placed outlets and a functional small appliance "garage". Also like the dispose-all air switch, huge sink and good lighting. Lots of counter space let me and the missus cook together without violence.

Wish I had a vacuum sealer, an extra dishwasher, another sink, a salamander, a wall double oven and a 48" cook top. A walk-in would be terrific! Also a computer station or flat screen to check out instructional videos and recipes on the fly.

Boy, you hit on a lot of good ones. I recently rented a place with those self/soft close drawers and cabinets. I really liked them.

As for the walk-in, it would be cool, but I think I would side with a root cellar that is accessed from (or near) the kitchen. Might as well use the earth to cool instead of paying $70-150 per month on an electric bill for a walk-in. Alternatively, a large walk-in pantry with a second fridge would be another option, but I have a garage that serves as a perfectly good cooler form much of the year ;)

k.

Funny. My dream kitchen would NOT have an island. Currently have one now and I HATE constantly walking around it.

-AJ

I am with you on this one BUT the island I have now works pretty good. In the past, I didn't like islands because a lot of them had sinks on them, and the dirty dishes would pile up next to my food prep area and food, and then i would have to transfer the prepped food to my cooktop. The island I have now has my cooktop on it and works for me. I prep on one side and can still reach across to stir things even if I am not in front of the stove. I also don't have to move my food. Everything is prepped and lined up near the top of stove for cooking.

k.

Boy, you hit on a lot of good ones. I recently rented a place with those self/soft close drawers and cabinets. I really liked them.
k.

I bought them in bulk on line and put them in myself at a fraction of what a contractor would charge. IIRC they were called Blum blumotion. A big scratch 'n dent fridge in the garage is our walk-in.

I wish I had more space physically, def more storage and counter space. Would love a proper hood and another oven, prob a convection unit. Larger refrigeration and freezer would be great. Better cooktop with a chargrill. Larger sink. A second dishwasher. Basically, I'd love a hybrid of a pro and resi kitchen.

any dream kitchen of mine would have a modern wood fired oven.

Back