Quantcast
To do or not to do? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: To do or not to do?

I don't think it makes financial sense to go to culinary school. There's a thread about it here http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...ols-under-fire.

From the cordon bleu site, assuming you want to study overseas (in Australia) the course you're interested in costs AUD65,700. Lets assume you will need AUD1500 for living expenses while you study. Since this is a 3 year course that adds up to AUD39,000. That puts your total at AUD104,700.

You would need to earn AUD1745 more than your current salary for 5 years to break even on the cost. And this number hasn't factored in the opportunity cost of the cordon bleu course, which is whatever you're currently earning + possible promotions and raises during those 3 years you would be studying.

Honestly, 104,700 is way too much for going to school unless you're getting an ironclad guarantee of making big bucks when you graduate. Show your parents the figures, and they might change their minds.

I kinda did the number crunching as well. Figure I came up with was 100,000~115,000 SGD as the industry placement and part-time jobs will get me set up for the living costs.
    I told them as much regarding the opportunity cost as well but you know how parents can be. They all think that we can't think for ourselves and we can't hold intelligent, fact based conversations. I've just given up.. If they wanna spend that kind of money on me, den so be it. I'll go through that and let them see what comes of a piece of paper in a skill based job.

Make the most of it, though. Even if culinary school isn't your preferred choice, if you're spending your time there (and your parents' money), make the most of it and get as much out of it as you can.
    Len

Quote Originally Posted by echerub View Post
    Make the most of it, though. Even if culinary school isn't your preferred choice, if you're spending your time there (and your parents' money), make the most of it and get as much out of it as you can.
    Yeah that's all i can do right now. Make sure I end up at least in the top 5~10 percent of the cohort. that would at least get me a little plus in an interview.

If they'r dead set on sending you, its not so bad. I'm sure you will learn some valuable stuff and hopefully get some good job placements. Btw if you'r working overseas you can defer reservist, just fyi.

Make your goal to learn everything you can. Develop your skills, knowledge, and ability as much as you can. Go beyond the minimum you need to learn or practice. Don't worry about numerical grading - that ought to be a by-product of everything else.
    Len

Wait wait wait...your parents are paying for it?!

Shoot, I'd have gotten a degree in acorn farming if my parents gave me a full ride!

Quote Originally Posted by johndoughy View Post
    Wait wait wait...your parents are paying for it?!

Shoot, I'd have gotten a degree in acorn farming if my parents gave me a full ride!
    Yeah well at the end of it, Asian parents are slightly different. The fact that they paid for your degree is an added pressure to perform. Basically the common mindset is: "We paid $X for you, and you still screwed up?? Look at your second cousin, got a scholarship, parents didn't pay anything and she's still doing better than you. Married a good guy too!..."

Good luck telling them that you didn't want them to pay for your education to begin with.

I got a fully paid up scholarship to the Missisipi University for Women 12 years ago (yes it exists, yes it is about 15% men, 85% women. Yes, I know.), my folks thought better of it, and thrashed my application documents and the scholarship. I ended up staying in Singapore to study. Could have been an Ivy League grad by now but no....

And if you're overseas for any reason, you can defer your reservist

Quote Originally Posted by Tristan View Post
    Yeah well at the end of it, Asian parents are slightly different. The fact that they paid for your degree is an added pressure to perform. Basically the common mindset is: "We paid $X for you, and you still screwed up?? Look at your second cousin, got a scholarship, parents didn't pay anything and she's still doing better than you. Married a good guy too!..."

Good luck telling them that you didn't want them to pay for your education to begin with.

I got a fully paid up scholarship to the Missisipi University for Women 12 years ago (yes it exists, yes it is about 15% men, 85% women. Yes, I know.), my folks thought better of it, and thrashed my application documents and the scholarship. I ended up staying in Singapore to study. Could have been an Ivy League grad by now but no....

And if you're overseas for any reason, you can defer your reservist
    This sums it up nicely.

Damn tristan, that's a tragic story.

+ Reply to Thread