Carving Knife and Chinese Cleaver advice

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisg

Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking for a new high-end carving knife and Chinese cleaver. I think what I am looking for is stainless, but priority rests in the sharpness. Other things to consider are aesthetics and feel in hand (but most high-end knifes will cover these aspects anyway).

I am looking for stainless I think, because I have a Takeda Gyuto AS 240mm, and while I like this knife a lot (its something of a piece of artwork) I don't think I love it. Mine stains RATHER fast. Within minutes of cutting even non-acidic foods, it's already rusting. This rusting is a pain to clean. I also don't think the rusting pain outweighs the sharpness (which while sharp, I feel could be sharper).

So if you all have a recommendation on the best carving knife and cleaver to purchase I'd really appreciate it. Price is not a huge deal but probably don't want to spend more than $400 a knife.

Look into "forcing a patina" on your Takeda, with mustard or similar, or if you end up sending it to be sharpened by one of the guys here inquire if they can do it for you.

Check out the jki site, he has plenty of great knives on there, as far as cleavers go cck make some good sturdy cleavers, ive just bought one myself.
Alternatively Google 'Japanese knife' and the first 3 results are good online j knife suppliers.

Hmmm. Stainless and good for the cleaver is a bit more difficult than for the slicer. At least for me, Takeda's knives have not been particularly reactive, so if you're experiencing issues with them you might have similar issues with other carbon steels. At least with anything with non-stainless cladding.

Off the top of my head, I think the Hattori FH cleaver would be a good choice. I've had to resist pulling the trigger on that thing myself quite a few times.

Devin Thomas makes a mean cleaver in AEBL, but I think that will go over your budget.

Hmm... maybe someone knows if there's a Gesshin Ginga or Ashi Hamano cleaver in stainless. That could be an option to consider.

Are you looking for a slicing "cleaver" - basically taking the role of a gyuto - or a chopping cleaver that'll go through bones & whatever else gets in its way? The one there via the link is the chopping kind.

Chinese cleavers themselves do come in various weights and thicknesses, but most of the time when folks talk about them it's the thin slicing kind that's being discussed. The thin kind should only be used on what you'd use a thin gyuto on.

More of a chopping one, since I have my newly purchased CN that I use whenever I can. I want to get a beefy one, so I thought that this ebay one would work

just ordered the cck 1303 to see my cleaver interest. From a site cookwarekitchenware.com. Seemed slightly dodgy but its paypal so got some insurance. $58 USD with postage to aus... ill let you know if i get it!

Just saw this Ikkanshi Tadatsuna stainless just put up for sale at aframes.

405163951.jpg

Aframes is one of those sites you have to read carefully. Many of the items they list are marked "not in stock". Look right under the price.

So tempted by that Tadatsuna cleaver, but I worry it'd just be too similar to my Mizuno stainless. Although the steels should be different, IT supposedly use gin3 and the Mizuno is listed as Swedish steel, who knows which one though.

what was final outcome? was the winco worth the trouble? I have made a small chinese style for myself, aldo's 1084, 6"x2 1/2" blade, scandi style edge with 20 degree total angle, hardened in the Rc62-63 range.

Back