Quantcast
Gyuto Opinions: Heiji, Yoshikane, Watanabe and Shige? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gyuto Opinions: Heiji, Yoshikane, Watanabe and Shige?

i want to take the opportunity and ask a couple of questions about wa-gyutos... still i prefer western handles, but i would like to have one wa-gyuto in my kitchen as well. i guess i will be going for a 240mm size. gyutos which are of interest seem to be: yoshikane, yoshihide, yoshihiro (seems like i have a weakness for yoshi...), heiji, watanabe. i am afraid shigefusa or else are out of my price range. any others which you guys can recommend? gesshin ginga? sakai yusuke?

in this thread, heiji seems to be quite "in". where would i buy a heiji wa-gyuto?

Quote Originally Posted by daddy yo yo View Post
    ............... heiji seems to be quite "in". where would i buy a heiji wa-gyuto?
    Here
    Charles ***[All statements I made here only my personal opinion and nothing more!]*** & Please bare with me for my crappy English!!

I recently also checked Heiji knives. Also this place: Here

And at JKI, made to Jon's specs.
    Len

thx for the links!

do you guys also know what jon (JKI) has special made for "his" heiji knives? will that be similar to the gesshin ginga knives from ashi hamono (rounded spine and choil + gesshin logo)?

Send Jon a PM or an email. It could be anything from just rounding off edges for comfort to actually tweaking the profile, geometry or even heat treat.
    Len

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    I know the one I tried was from JKI, and the spine was rounded, same with choil. Not sure about logo or the kangi.
    Chewie's the man.

hello guys,

i just wanted to share some information i received from jon/JKI as my statement about gesshin ginga was incomplete. here's jon's clarification (jon, i hope it is ok for me to post this):

- for gesshin ginga we do more than round the spine and choil... we also adjusted the HT (not just simply making it harder, but working on grain refinement, toughness, etc.), have tighter quality control, and use more well made handles and sayas
    -for gesshin heiji, we have worked on the profiles and heat treatment with him, as well as the final sharpening, sealing of the tang area in the handle, and, again, quality control

I say Hide you say GO!!...Hide, GO, Hide, GO!!...I say Heiji you say BUY!!...Heiji, BUY, Heiji, BUY!!...Hide, Heiji!!...GO!!! BUY!!!...Hide, Heiji!!...GO!!! BUY!!!

Of those knives, I've only had Watanabes. They are on the heftier side, not thin by any means. They are also quite reactive.

+ Reply to Thread