Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Trade: used Shigefusa 270 kasumi chefs knife

Quote Originally Posted by brainsausage View Post
    Nice polishing job Mike. If I hadn't just picked up a Kato from Scott, I would've been all over this...
    Hehe but you anyway did the right thing

nice polishing job! what was the process?

Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    +1 to both parts.

my guess is sand paper then natural stone. Knoves are very easy to get nice even finish with Red or Green aoto slurry and 400/600 sand paper.

Quote Originally Posted by mainaman View Post
    my guess is sand paper then natural stone. Knoves are very easy to get nice even finish with Red or Green aoto slurry and 400/600 sand paper.
    sandpaper and finger stones is what i've used on my Shig, but i've never gotten quite that nice of a finish. probably just not enough grease, on my part.

sandpaper and finger stones is what i've used on my Shig, but i've never gotten quite that nice of a finish. probably just not enough grease, on my part.
    I like the red /green aoto before finger stones, gives smoother finish IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by mainaman View Post
    I like the red /green aoto before finger stones, gives smoother finish IMO.
    i'll give that a shot the next time i thin my Shig, thanks for the suggestion!

and i had meant to say "not enough elbow grease," in post 25.

Cheers

Indeed I used sndpaper and then mud fron naturals.

Thinned with 1k, then polished scratches out wth binsui, and that is it, next stage was sanding with paper.
    400 grit to begin with, then 800 grit, and then mud out of the fingertones [I make it on a DMT] with the 800 paper.
    Then mud with a piece of wet felt.

Couldnt really tell what naturals get involved. First thing is that I never remember their names second thing is I go by the feel. Some fingerstones I have are very hard and they dont fit this soft soft cladding, but I have something softer and sandey I used, and one other similar in looks to my ohira [one of the few I remembered ]

You basically want to polish up to the matte you like with a different combinations. This now looks little bit to light for me, but soon patina covers it anyway

Thank you for your description Bieniek and it's very nice work. I would like this knife to buy if I hadn't got one already. I think I had sent you a PM before as you seem a good polisher with knives.

Some people suggest fingerstones for polishing and Bieniek said that he uses the mud of fingerstones. Does anyone use the fingerstones directly on the blade? I haven't got any fingerstones but I am curious how I can use.

Cheers!

Thanks man. Too kind of you I strongly believe that its easy if you pay enough attention and try hard.

You can use fingerstnes on a blade. Problem starts when you try that on machine polished/buffed blades on which sides are appearing to be flat yet when you polish with fingerstones, they reveal all the ugly uneveness.

I prefer to just use mud cause its harder to damage what youve already done.
    I dont care whats more traditional in Japan and if I should wear a kimono. My goal is the finish on the blade.