Professional Knife Sharpening

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisg

Reaction score
I'd like to have my knifes professionally sharpened. I have water stoned by knives in the past, and I did a fine job - but I'd sooner have someone with a proper water stone kit (6 stones instead of the 2 I had) and some good skills sharpen them.

Does anyone here want to or does anyone here know a good place to send my knives in to get sharpened?

Thank you

I am in North Carolina! But I can ship anywhere necessary.

No disrespect intended, but where did you get the idea that you need six stones for a "proper" kit? It's the skills, not the number of stones that makes for a good sharpening job.

Rick

I realize that you can get a good job done with the 2 stones. My knife came out plenty sharp when I did it with a basic kit. However I know there are professional sharpeners that have the coarse, semi coarse, medium, finer, and finest type setup, and eh, I just figured they deserved the hands of a seasoned knife sharpener this time around.

I realize that you can get a good job done with the 2 stones. My knife came out plenty sharp when I did it with a basic kit. However I know there are professional sharpeners that have the coarse, semi coarse, medium, finer, and finest type setup, and eh, I just figured they deserved the hands of a seasoned knife sharpener this time around.

Then I'd send them to Dave Martell (who runs this forum) for sharpening. Drop him a PM and check for the particulars. Here's the webpage:

http://www.japaneseknifesharpeningstore.com/Sharpening-Service-s/128.htm

Rick

If you want to experience a properly sharpen knife by a pro your best bet is Dave Martell (proprietor of this site) or Jon over at JKI. Dave is in Pennsylvania so he might be a bit quicker then Jon in California but both have a great reputation. That said don't be surprised if they only use 2-3 stones to sharpen your knives courser stones are reserved for repairing damage while finer ones often give too polished an edge most here use a 1k, something in the 4-5k range and possibly one in the 6-8k range. Many do find it worthwhile though to have a properly sharpened edge to measure their own sharpening ability with.

Chris what 2 stones do you have?The good thing about Dave & Jon,both are accomplished freehand sharpeners.Martel has a good DVD & Jon online tutorals.Either can give you good advice,2 stones are enough to keep a knife very sharp.

Worst case scenario, you need 3 stones. Most times, only 1 or 2 then strop.

Back